Pump and Filter help!!!

Virgl

Aug 14, 2014
Vancouver BC
Hi I am a newbie to pool ownership... 18 x 48 AG round 7600 gal came with a 1 hp easy clean cartridge filter/pump combo. Needless to say the cheap pump is non effective and would like to upgrade.

Been told that a Hayward 1 HP ULTRA-PRO LX with an 18" sand filter will do the trick.

Is this a good suggestion? Or is this overkill?
Thanks

Welcome to TFP!

A couple of questions first --

Is you pool a "seasonal" variety or is it a permanent install?

What brand of pump/filter combo is currently installed?

Can you post a few pictures of your set-up? This may help us help you. http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/72545-Posting-Photo-s-Tutorial

That said, the sand filter might be a good option for you.

Another question. How is the current filter set non effective? If it's the filter cartridge that is letting dirt through, you can probably find a better cart through Unicel or Filbur. Both of their websites have filter matching ability.

Hi, I would say the pool is a seasonal one…as I can drain it and store it away… it’s soft sided. The pump was the one that came with the kit… when I saw it, I knew it was going to be a challenge … we had one similar with our much smaller pool. I’ve included a pic of the set up. I’m been reading a bit more about AG pumps that are combo Sand/Filter. it might make a better option and less expensive.
photo 1.JPG

Thanks! I have been using google a lot … and it does say that we either need to monkey wrench the fittings for a Krystal Clear 16” Sand/Pump combo from Intex. I also googled how to make my own solar heater with irrigation hoses… and not waste the cheap pump by using it to pump the heated water….Thanks to all those who love to share their ideas.

Believe me if there is a way to do it cheaper and still keep this pool clean and safe it’s going to happen! :D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.