Trying to find a new pump

JBurt

Jul 8, 2013
El Centro, CA
So my really old 2hp jacuzzi pump has started leaking from the housing. We've got insurance on it and went with the cash out option. I figured I'd go with a VS pump. Since I'm in california I have to go for at least a 2 speed and it seems that the VS are cheaper in the long run and easier to install, which I plan on doing by myself. I've got about $880 to get everything done, and the less I spend the more stays in my pocket, but I'm looking for some direction. From looking at it I've narrowed it down to a choice between these three pumps, all of which come with their own controllers.

This one gets good reviews, but I don't know if a 1.5 hp pump would cover my 20k gallon pool. Some reviews say it works great, but I'm replacing a 2hp pump so I don't know.

Then the other two are 3hp pentair models. This one seems to have more speeds but I don't know if I really need 8. It also has good reviews but would use all the money from the insurance, plus about $100 for tax and plumbing.

This one is also 3 speed but doesn't have many reviews.

Any opinions and advice are welcome. Thanks.

Specific recommendations re. equipment are not something this group does much.
Best bet is to search this forum (Pumping Station) for the specifc names of the ones you're looking at.
"What pump should I buy" is like asking a M.D. for a diagnosis at a cocktail party ("Doc, I've got a fever and this strange rash. What is it?"). It takes a whole lot more info - mostly about your thought process.
Since we have not been married to you for 20 years, we really can't judge.

Maybe a sticky at the top of each equipment forum pointing to something on the order of Consumer Reports, but specific to residential pools? Is there such a place?

Google has grown to the point that the equivalent of an undergraduate degree is almost require to find something without reading 200 links...

No spa or water features requiring high flow rates? Any plans for automation?

If not, get the smaller VS pump, like the maxflo or Superflo.

The other 2 are basically the same I think and overkill if you do not need high flow.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.