3" of rain, numbers all off now

May 26, 2014
Windham, NH
We had a storm yesterday that gave us 3" of rain! Landscape could really use it, so not a total waste.

My numbers are all off now though. I have to add my kids swam in the pool during he storm and all day today, so maybe pH is a bit high due to them and all the rain aerating the water?

CL - 3
BR- 6
pH - 7.8
FC - 3.5
CC - .5
TA - 80
CYA - 20

3" of rain is only about 6% of the water in your pool (assuming 48" average). So the CH and CYA could not change by more than 6%.

What were the previous results? Was the rain water thoroughly mixed in before you took a water sample?

Before the storm, which ended last night and pump ran today, we were at the numbers below.

PH - 7.5
FC - 5.5
Cc - 0
Ta - 90
Cya - 40

I thought it was the rain? Water has been holding steady for weeks now with a gallon or 2 of bleach every week is all.

Should I add the bleach and acid and baking soda like pool math is suggesting?

Then you will not learn to fish.

The recommended pool chemicals article in Pool School tells you the chemicals to use to make adjustments and how to add them.

PoolMath will calculate the amount to add to achieve a desired target.

Post up what and how much you figure out to add and your current and target numbers and someone will check your work.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I use mysaltpool stabilizer I found at Walmart for <$20 for a 6.5 lb bottle. They have 12lb bags of Baking soda too, and all the Great Value 8.25% bleach you could want too. For muriatic acid, I hear Home Depot has a decent price on that.

PoolMath will only tell you what to add based on what YOU enter in the Now and Target columns. You have to decide what levels you want.

You need to continue to add your bleach.
Lower the pH some if it goes above 7.8.
And raise your CYA some to between 30-40ppm.

Re: 3&quot; of rain, numbers all off now

Not educate din my first month of pool ownership to know what I want the levels to be at. Thats why I joined the forum, to learn.

I am using the TFP option in the drop down which pre populates these figures, should I be changing them?

I understand bleach is consumable and needs to be added regularly. What I was surprised by was how the other levels have changed.

Can you walk me through, either here or in a PM, why I shouldn't be listening to what pool math is saying in this instance?

- - - Updated - - -

I use mysaltpool stabilizer I found at Walmart for <$20 for a 6.5 lb bottle. They have 12lb bags of Baking soda too, and all the Great Value 8.25% bleach you could want too. For muriatic acid, I hear Home Depot has a decent price on that.

I looked at Home Depot and couldnt find one with an % listed on the bottle. Do you know which brand I should look for?

Yes, you should be changing the Targets to what you want them to be based on the Recommended Levels: http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/134-recommended-levels

Selecting the TFP option only changes the suggested goals. It does not change the numbers in the white TARGET column.

For example. The Goal for TA should show 70-90+ .... you are at 80 now. Why raise it? PoolMath will not tell you to raise it if you do not have a number > 80ppm in the TARGET column.

When you use PoolMath, enter all your current results in the NOW column and then all your desired levels in the TARGET column.

Have you read the instructions in the link at the top of PoolMath?

Those are ranges, which Pool Math has in there already. None of the links here give solid target #'s. Thats why I am asking what I should set in the right hand column? If easier to PM, email, or give me a ring I would love it! I have read all of these articles, but sometimes SHOWING a man how to fish is much more well received than EXPLAINING how to fish.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.