Impeller Keeps Breaking

Aug 14, 2014
Bonita Springs
Hello,

I'm new here, but this looks like the place to be for pool advice. My Pentair Sta Rite MPRA6G-155L 2hp pool pump quit working last night. Today, I had a local pool guy come over and he told me the impeller broke. The motor was working, but it wasn't spinning the impeller. For $130 he fixed it. I wish I had researched it a little more before shelling out the cash; it looks like the job is well within the scope of my skills. Plus, my wife is 7 months pregnant, so I am about to be real broke! Anyhow, an hour after the pool guy left, the impeller isn't spinning again. I took all of the precautions and took a look inside the pump. Sure enough the impeller is broken again. It seems to be spinning free of the shaft, like the part that holds it onto the shaft is broken. However, I can't see any broken parts (I didn't take the defuser off). Can anyone offer any advice on this? I really don't want to take a huge hit on fixing up a 20-year-old pump. I'd rather just buy a slightly used or new one if this one has run its course. I just can't figure out why it would break again so fast. Nothing can be getting to the impeller because of the small skimmer that's inside of the pump, right? Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Dan

I would call the guy and let him know the repair lasted only an hour. Here is the manual for your pump. It has a diagram of all the parts of the pump. There may be a part missing or the shaft may be damaged where the impeller attaches. If the pool guy can't find the problem take some pictures of the impeller and shaft and we'll see if we can help you track down the problem. To buy just the 2 hp motor would be around $300.

You could probably use a lower hp pump or a 2 speed pump. Please edit your signature to include information about the pool such as pool type (above ground or in ground), surface (vinyl, plaster, or fiberglass), size in gallons, pump brand and horsepower, filter type (sand, DE, or cartridge), filter brand and size, and any water features, cleaning systems, and if there is a spa (attached or detached). It will show up at the bottom of everything you post and it is easier for us to help you if we don't have to search the thread for this information.

Thanks, zea3. The pool guy is coming back tomorrow morning. I'll see what he has to say. Hopefully he will stand behind his repair and make it right. This guy also quoted me $700 for a new pump; this doesn't seem right. I was reading this article, which reiterates what you said above about smaller or multi-speed pump.

I added some info to my signature. Thanks for the tip and the swift response!

Well, unless you have Niagara Falls attached to your pool I think you could get by with a smaller pump! A 1 hp 2 speed pump would probably work just fine. I don't know how much your pool guy charges for labor, but if that same model pump is no longer available or has had design changes there may need to be some re-plumbing work involved to change out the pump. That would drive the cost up. If you are handy re-plumbing for a new pump generally is not too difficult. It all depends on the current plumbing set up and how much room there is to work with.

e6aseda7.jpg

y2ybapys.jpg
eqa6ysej.jpg

Pool guy installed a 2nd impeller this morning. It seems to be running fine. The other one broke after about an hour. We'll see if this one holds up. The shaft was spinning true. He had no clue why the first and second broke.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.