problem with sand filter not filtering properly !!!!!

xp800

Jun 3, 2007
I am at my witts end with my sand filter not filtering properly . I have recently changed the sand , the lateral , and the valve head . I can vacuum with a panty hose over the vac plate and pic up alot of stuff i thought the filter would catch , but 6 or so hours there is dirt all over the bottom of the pool floor . i have vaced on waste and filter because i know it is not algea but i am tired of dumping water out for no reason . There is no construction going on near where i live for the air to bring it in . I really just dont know !!! My question is this , how small of stuff can the sand filter actually filter ? This problem has been going on for 2 yrs or so and i am ready to give up on a clean pool . I have spent countless dollars on yellow out because everyone said it was mustard algea . I just dont know , please help

XP,

1. Don't spend any more money

2. Confirm if you have sand in your pool or algae or both.

3. Treat the problem with advice from forum members here after you have it identified.

Number one should be easy enough.

Number two isn't difficult. Capture the offensive material and rub it between your thumb and finger....if it feels gritty, you've got sand. If it feels slimy, you've got algae. Now, assuming it's sand, determine the source. Place a fine nylon over your return inlet into the pool and turn the pump on. If the sand is coming from the filter, you should be able to capture it in the nylon. If the nylon stays clean, it's getting into your pool another way.

Perform the above and post back what you find. You'll then get very specific help on what to do next.

How old is your system? Post some specs on your pool, including the brand(s) of your pump and filter, and especially the sizes. It sounds to me like your pump may be oversized for your filter and is blowing the sand back into the pool.

Tell us about where you live. City or country? Trees nearby? Any neighbors have pools?

Pool info: How many skimmers/returns? Main Drain or not? Pump run time per day?

I live in the country and get a yellowish brown dirt on the bottom of my pool in the dry part of the summer, and running the pump more helps. The key to getting anything out of the water is keeping it in circulation so it passes through the filter. Some pool configurations are better than others at accomplishing this.

I am in memphis Tn , city limits . Neighbors have pools no problems there. My pool is probably 12 yrs old above ground 18 ft round .

I am using a hayward 200# sand filter , with a 1 HP pump . I have it on a timer from about 9:00 am till about 10 pm or so . It has one return and a Skimmer . The water is circulating in a counterclock wise movement . I can vac the pool with a nylon over the vac plate and it catches all kinds of small peices of bugs and regular dirt . Nothing is slimey and it is not sand. I will vac the pool this evening and post pics of the crud that is being caught by the nylon . Some of the stuff is so small i think it makes it through the pantyhose.

It seems to me that with the pump shut off it does not get the crud back in the pool , but i have never left it long enough to see over a day or so .

Also can anyone tell me what exactly mustard aglea looks like or has a picture of it .........

here is a pic i stole from another member in the aglea forum . This is what is looks like after is settles and the water carries it to all the uneven spots in the floor. I looks a little darker in color . If i brush it , It will disapate quickly .......

Capture the offensive material and rub it between your thumb and finger....if it feels gritty, you've got sand. If it feels slimy, you've got algae. Now, assuming it's sand, determine the source. Place a fine nylon over your return inlet into the pool and turn the pump on. If the sand is coming from the filter, you should be able to capture it in the nylon. If the nylon stays clean, it's getting into your pool another way.

A picture is only guesswork!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.