Should I bother adding CYA?

PJBear

May 25, 2014
Owen Sound, ON
I live in Mid-Western Ontario, and today it is a balmy 13 C or 55 F. We finally got the pool up and running about 3 weeks ago. My CYA reading is around 35 ppm. I used the 2 sock method to dissolve 1KG of the dry CYA. It seemed to take forever to dissolve. I know with a SWG I should have a CYA level of 70ppm, although I am not sure why so high, but that's what you guys are telling us to do here. My question is, being that it is so late in the season, is there any reason to raise this CYA level when we will be closing the pool in a month or so?

At 55F you are below the 60F that algae needs to grow. Writings here say to not close a pool until the water temperature is consistently below 60F.

I would guess no, but I'll yield to more experienced folks.

Having the higher CYA level allows the SWG to not work as hard and thus should extend the life of the cell. Way up there, maybe the sun and lack of heat is not as hard for the SWG to keep up, so a lower CYA may work fine. Try it and see what happens.

Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you in the future.

Sorry Jason. I thought I had put my pool details in awhile ago. I guess I put them in the wrong place. I will try again.

I am counting on the weather warming up again soon. It was hot a few days ago. Not sure where today's weather came from. I did hear a polar vortex is headed for us in September. Not looking forward to that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.