Please recommend automation system

Nov 3, 2013
Fort Worth, TX
Hi,

I have a pool/spa combination and am getting ready to add a Stenner pump based on all the reviews I have read on this site. I'd like to now add automation as my pool equipment is not very close to the pool/spa and I'm getting tired of having to turn on and adjust valves, temperature, and pumps before and after I jump into the spa.

I'd like the automation to control the following:
1) Main pump - single speed 2.5HP
2) Polaris 280 with booster pump
3) Raypak RP2100 propane heater
4) Waterfall (not crucial but nice)
5) Stenner pump - to be added in near future

To go from pool to spa and back, I have just two valves to adjust.

So, I guess I need 5 circuits and two valve actuators.

I need to have remote capability as the pool equipment is not located conveniently by the pool. I want to be able to adjust and monitor pool/spa temperature (ambient would be nice as well)

I would also like to be able to install, program, change, and maintain this on my own. I'm an engineer, so I do have some mechanical and electrical knowledge.

Any suggestions?

How is the waterfall controlled?
I am not seeing 5 circuits. I only see 3 relays required for the 2 pumps and the Stenner.

The waterfall is controlled with a simple switch located on the patio near the pool/spa, hence this is not a top priority. It does, however, have a separate pump located with the rest of the pool equipment. Wouldn't this require a relay of its own? Also, what about the heater, I assume it too would require its own relay?

I was trying to learn if it had a pump or a valve. A pump would need a relay. You should consider a 2 speed pump eventually, which would require another relay.

I assume you mean a "2 speed pump" for the main pump to replace the single speed 2.5HP motor? If so, I agree. This motor was replaced under a home warranty just last summer, so I suspect it will last for awhile! I doubt I'd see a good payback from a 2 speed motor based on just the energy consumption difference between the two pumps. Currently, since I'm using bleach to chlorinate the pool, I only run the pump about 5 hours per day and that seems to be enough.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.