Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: filter too big?

1. Back To Top    #1

filter too big?

I have a 1hp pump for my 16x32x 48" pool. I have found a good deal on what I believe is a 24" sand filter from an inground pool. The old one from mine was a 18 or 19" filter. Is it possible to have too large a filter?
    Sherra
    Kershaw County, South Carolina
    18x36 27,500 gal IG Vinyl Liner, sand filter, 1hp single speed pump running 6 hours twice per day, Hayward Swim Pure salt chlorinator, 2 skimmers, main drain, 3 returns, husband, 2 kids, 2 dogs

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: filter too big?

That is not to big of a filter. If it looks in good shape I would buy it.

Check the laterials to make sure none are broken. Try and find out why the guy is getting rid if it. The inlet and outlet should be 1.5 inch. I don't know the size of hose that you are using. There will be no problem with adapters.
    Hotrod30

20 X 40 foot vinyl Borates and Salt Pool
    Rolachem Chlorine Feeder
    Hayward 27 inch sand filter with 80 lbs of pea gravel
    Jacuzzi Splash Pak SP55 DE filter in parallel
    Pentair VF3050 pump

3. Back To Top    #3

sattaker
    Hello
    I agree, Hotrod30 is on the money. the bigger the filter the better.
    Happy Swims
    Frank
    Hello all from the land of smiles. Thailand. 5mx9mx1.5 63000L 16300 gall, pebbletex,
    pentair 1hp whisperflow, tagelus TA60 SF, swg monarch esc24 {a bit small for the tropics} 3 returns, 1 skimmer, 2 astral 100watt lights. Planned and built by me
    an AUSSIE expat living thailand for 18 years.

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks guys, the guy was selling it because he used it in a pond and now the pond is not being used any longer. I actually found 2 filters. I bought a 20" jandy with 6 way valve for $40 and there is another pantera II which a is a starite product, its a 24" 300lb filter that I can have for $50. The only reason that I did not pick it up was it was full of sand. I may go back and get it yet. I'm just not sure where I can dump the sand on the ladies property, and there is no way I can lift it like it is. She ended up filling her pool with dirt as she thought it was too much trouble.
    Sherra
    Kershaw County, South Carolina
    18x36 27,500 gal IG Vinyl Liner, sand filter, 1hp single speed pump running 6 hours twice per day, Hayward Swim Pure salt chlorinator, 2 skimmers, main drain, 3 returns, husband, 2 kids, 2 dogs