Reagent testing questions

Mindflux

LifeTime Supporter
May 7, 2014
Pflugerville, TX
While I wait for my TF-100 kit to arrive I have a few questions.

1) Is it OK to get a cup or glass of water from the pool to bring it in to run the battery of tests (if I want to run all the tests?)
2) I assume it is ok to use the same testing vial for each test as long as it is rinsed well between tests?

1) As long as you do the PH and chlorine tests first.
2) Yes. However, it is generally a good idea to use a different vial for the FAS-DPD chlorine test from the vial you use for all of the other tests. The FAS-DPD test slowly builds up a milky residue that can make some of the other tests harder to read.

1) As long as you do the PH and chlorine tests first.
2) Yes. However, it is generally a good idea to use a different vial for the FAS-DPD chlorine test from the vial you use for all of the other tests. The FAS-DPD test slowly builds up a milky residue that can make some of the other tests harder to read.

Does the TF-100 kit (that comes with a FAS-DPD test) include a separate vial for any of the tests? Maybe specifically the FAS-DPD?

PH and FC will change over time once the water is taken out of the pool. You want to test both in the first few minutes after taking the sample, first minute if practical. The changes happen for several reasons, including temperature changes.

personally i dont allow glass near the pool in case of breakage
but a plastic cup would be safe
depending on when you have your SWG running
you can perform the tests anytime
but you dont want your minimum FC to go low before your SWG run time

Well I didn't literally mean glass. I meant cup or something to transport water to a more convenient location.

Right now I am having FC level issues (previously due to low salt) and am working on trying to get everything aligned. Right now trying to deal with high pH, even after adding 22oz of MA (per poolmath) I'm still testing above 8.2...

As far as SWG run time, it's set to run 30% of the time (what it was set when we bought the house). I don't know if SWG's run at the top of the hour or from the start of the daily program or what? So I gather at some point it runs 30% of an hour every hour the pump is on?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
the SWG will run at 30% power whenever your pump is running
most pools have the filter on a timer
so you want to check your FC just before timer kicks in

This is not true for most SWG systems. A setting of 30% means it only is generating for 30% of the time. And when generating it is always at the same power level.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.