Phospahtes?

amjohn

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 30, 2008
Rural NE Texas
Does the TF100 kit test for phosphates? I have the kit, and have used it once, but did not see any info on phosphates in the directions. We are supposed to have fairly high phosphate levels in our water, and i want to find out how "high". What is the way to do this without spending big bucks?

I am sure phosphate testing is available from Taylor or La Motte but I do not intend to offer it as a product. Most folks here say the need to know phosphates is not very valuable.

The AquaTrend phosphate test kit from Hach (same company that makes the AquaChek test strips) is a good , inexpensive orthophosphate test kit. However, testing for phosphates is really worthless UNLESS you have recurrant algae blooms that cannot be controlled by maintaining FC in relation to CYA and you rule out any nitrates in the water also!
Do NOT be sucked in to buying and using phosphate removers, they are one of the biggest scams to hit the pool/spa industry! (I work in the industry, btw!)

amjohn said:
Maybe a dumb question, but how does one rule out nitrates in the water? I live in a rural area where the water comes from water run-off lakes, so anything is possible.
Using a nitrate test kit. There are non made for pool use that are reasonable but you can get an aquarium nitrate low range test kit that will do the job. If there are nitrates then phosphate remover will do no good.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.