Rust prevention on an Intex Large Ultra-Frame Rectangular Pool

amax

Aug 4, 2014
Indonesia
Hi Everyone.

I have just ordered an Intex Large Ultra-Frame Rectangular Pool Set like this one:

http://www.intexcorp.com/index.php/...cm-ultra-frame-rectangular-pools/54985eg.html

I currently own an Intex Metal Frame Pool like this one:

http://www.intexcorp.com/index.php/...15-457cm-metal-frame-round-pools/56948eg.html

My current pool is rusting at the points where the top rails join with the T bar for the upright supports. It is actually rusting right through; you can see the hole on the second pic. This is particularly frustrating as I bought it less than 2 years ago (28/10/2012). This is why I am buying a new one before the old one just collapses at the joins.

View attachment 32694

View attachment 32695

At this point you might legitimately ask why I am buying another Intex pool? I have asked myself the same question and if I was back at home I definitely would not touch them again. However, I am currently living and working abroad in a very hot country, my kids want to swim and our choices for a pool are Intex and Intex. So I banged my head against the wall and ordered another (hopefully better) one.

Here comes the question. I would like to try and prevent the same thing from happening with the new pool. Obviously this is a better model and the website does describe the pool as "Rust-resistant", however it describes my other one as having "rust resistance" as well. In addition to this, I recently saw an Ultra Frame Pool Set at another house and managed to look at it briefly. I noted that this pool was also rusting at the joins on the top rail corners of the pool, though not as bad as mine. I cannot see the joins on the rest of the top rails because the are under cover of the laminated pool liner.

So my question is, is there anything I can do to try and prevent these areas from rusting? Can I silicon seal them when I erect it or put grease on them or something to try to prevent this rusting?

All help and ideas gratefully received.

Cheers

I wrapped silver duct tape around the joints to keep water out. It doesn't look too bad, definitely better than rust. My previous Ultra Frame rusted through and collapsed after 3 years. I do leave it up year round.
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

Agree with the prior post. Any metal parts that require assembly will be subject/likely to rust at their points of contact with one another. This is because the paint gets scraped on installation. Any such items almost always require subsequent paint application to be both effective at preventing rust and also to properly qualify for any warranty claims.

So I would definitely go over at least the joint areas if not the entirety of metal pieces with a proper rust preventative paint. The only way this won't happen is if the underlying metal is stainless steel.

Hi Everyone

OK. Thanks to all of you for your comments. Very helpful indeed, from a very informative forum.

In answer to the one question, no I don't use Salt. Further to this my whole pool is under permanent cover, a semi transparent roof and so even more reason that it should not rust.

My attention is peaked by the one comment "Any such items almost always require subsequent paint application to be both effective at preventing rust and also to properly qualify for any warranty claims." Thank you for this interesting observation, an observation which I might have expected from a company/seller of these products? I will probably do what you have suggested about the paint which is a good idea, although I am looking at a more permanent solution. Can I point out though, that the manual that comes with these pools does not suggest this and I had no intention of trying to claim on a warranty. I expect that a company that builds inferior products would wiggle out of any warranty anyway, when really what they should be doing is some simple product engineering post production, which would prevent this from happening in the first place.

Cheers to everyone

My ultra frames rusted before a year and yes, I was using salt. I think getting 2-3 years is awesome. I did find a replacement frame on Craigslist but I trashed the whole pool after about a month. Paint should help. Good luck.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have my second Intex in garage....bought it few weeks back on sale.
When I assembled my first one (now two years old) I noticed the inside of the metal pipes didn't have much paint inside them.

For my new one I was going to try and paint inside and then once pool was up....try to used a strong waterproof caulking/glue to seal up where the metals join. Figure the metal will always rub against another causing bare metal.....so if it's sealed up....no rust!!??

I am thinking about Calking as well. This won't prevent rubbing though and if the joins flex, which they probably will, I expect the calking will split from the joins. Has anyone tried this with lasting results?

Paint is a good one but will rub off.

Oil/Fluid film is also a good one but won't this eventually just dissipate and getting at it once the pool is up to reapply will be difficult.

Again any practical experience using either fluid film or paint would be interesting to hear about.

As I haven't received my pool yet I can not see how tight the joins are. When I see this I will make a final decision. I am considering a more radical but permanent solution but how practical it will be I don't know. Anyway, I am exploring all options at the moment and appreciate all ideas. Thanks again everyone.

I have a 18 x 52 that has rusted bad at the joints. One broke now. Fortunately my pool is in ground mostly, with retaining walls around it
So it won’t collapse outward.
I’m considering order replacement top rails, filling them with spray foam and coating each joint with flex seal? Any thoughts?

Hi Everyone.

I have just ordered an Intex Large Ultra-Frame Rectangular Pool Set like this one:

http://www.intexcorp.com/index.php/...cm-ultra-frame-rectangular-pools/54985eg.html

I currently own an Intex Metal Frame Pool like this one:

http://www.intexcorp.com/index.php/...15-457cm-metal-frame-round-pools/56948eg.html

My current pool is rusting at the points where the top rails join with the T bar for the upright supports. It is actually rusting right through; you can see the hole on the second pic. This is particularly frustrating as I bought it less than 2 years ago (28/10/2012). This is why I am buying a new one before the old one just collapses at the joins.

View attachment 32694

View attachment 32695

At this point you might legitimately ask why I am buying another Intex pool? I have asked myself the same question and if I was back at home I definitely would not touch them again. However, I am currently living and working abroad in a very hot country, my kids want to swim and our choices for a pool are Intex and Intex. So I banged my head against the wall and ordered another (hopefully better) one.

Here comes the question. I would like to try and prevent the same thing from happening with the new pool. Obviously this is a better model and the website does describe the pool as "Rust-resistant", however it describes my other one as having "rust resistance" as well. In addition to this, I recently saw an Ultra Frame Pool Set at another house and managed to look at it briefly. I noted that this pool was also rusting at the joins on the top rail corners of the pool, though not as bad as mine. I cannot see the joins on the rest of the top rails because the are under cover of the laminated pool liner.

So my question is, is there anything I can do to try and prevent these areas from rusting? Can I silicon seal them when I erect it or put grease on them or something to try to prevent this rusting?

All help and ideas gratefully received.

Cheers
Had a guy recommend ACF 50. He works for an airplane builder and says it's what they treat all metal and aluminum parts with.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Intex frames rust from the inside, out, too, so painting and treating externally makes little difference! A workable solution is to use PVC water pipes as a replacement - if you can find the correct diameter and thickness.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.