New pool, local water alkaline, how to get CYA?

amjohn

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 30, 2008
Rural NE Texas
The AGP construction project continues- hopefully it finishes this weekend. I printed out poolschool articles and have read them repeatedly. My local water is alkaline- Ph 7.6-7.8, TA 80-90, CH 70 with a minor amount of chlorine in it TC=4. This is using a TF100 pool test kit.
Now, it is burning hot here in Texas, and the pool will be in full sun most of the day, and I am going to be aerating to cool the water with a fountain (water is coming out of the tap at 85 degrees), and the water evaporation rate is very high (my friends in this area go through a lot of water, even with inground pools), so I gather that, unless I get some CYA in the pool, I will go through a LOT of chlorine.
I have a 25 lb tub of 65% cal hypo granules for shock, and I understand about using bleach as a regular chlorine source, but I am a little vague on how to get the CYA in there. I gather I can go to the pool store and buy CYA, but I have also read that I can use di-chlor or -tri-chlor, which will add some CYA along with chlorine, as well as bring down the pH and TA some. I also have in hand 2lbs of 99% Sodium Dichlor-s-Triazinetrione from the pool store. I was told that I should add that at starting the pool at a dose of 1lb per 10,000 gal. Does that sound about right? Do I mix that in water and pour into pool with the pump running like I would cal-hypo, or add into skimmer?
I understand that I do not want to make a habit of di-chlor or tri-chlor to avoid overdosing on CYA, (same as I do not want to overdose on cal-hypo, I just want use up the tub that the pool store talked me into) but it sounds like di-chlor might be a good way to get started to get a balance. Does that make sense? I am not excited about the whole adding muratic acid thing- sounds pretty scary.
I had originally planned on starting with PristineBlue but between reading what is here on TFpool.com and reading the PristineBlue support forum, I am thinking about seeing if the pool store will take it back. So now I need another plan. I am thinking about SWG eventually, because the ideal TA and ph levels are closer to my local water supply, but until I make a decision to expend that money, I need to know how to start my pool on the right foot so that I can swim right away and survive a rough summer. Please help?

In your shoes I think I would start out with dichlor as well, as that will bring down your PH down, your CYA up and of course the FC up.

I would also bring it to shock level to start out just to kill anything that may already be in or have blown into the pool. Working with 20,000 gal, 0 CYA, and 4 FC then 2 lbs of dichlor should get you to your shock level of 10 (Chlorine/CYA chart for reference). It will also bring your CYA up to 6 and your ph down by .25.

Also, I would keep an eye on the the PH because as you already know dichlor is acidic and the PH will move downward to the lower end of the range after just a few doses of dichlor. You may want to make sure you have either some borax or washing soda on hand to bring the PH back up if it becomes necessary.

The Pool Calculator really is a handy tool if you're not already familiar with it.

Hmm, I can see my signature, I wonder why you cannot:
28 foot round Doughboy Sand Dollar II AGP,
Expandable liner sunk into ground: 20,000 gallons approx
1.5 HP Doughboy Power Pak II filter
19" Media Master Sand Filter
Pool installed in August (we hope) during 100 degree plus weather

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.