Can't get rid of Algea

ari

Jun 13, 2013
Jersey Shore
Hi All. So i'm a huge fan of the BBB method. I evengot two of my neighbors to use it. Last year my pool stayed crystal clear the entire season with ver minimal maintenance or expense. This year, however, i'm having a really hard time with Algea. I can't seem to get rid of it. YES my pool is properly balanced (my CC has been 0 or very close to that; PH 7.6; TA 80; CH 110). My FC has been fluctuating with based on CNY. The CNY is currently at 45 and i'm aiming for FC of 4.
I find that i keep getting algea growths, I shock and get rid of it and then it comes right back a few days later.
I have a Hayward sand filter which i usually backwash every week or two as pressure builds. However, this entire season the pressure has never raised and slowed down the flow. (I have backwashed a couple of times after shocking, but not because of pressure drops) Why would that be?? Could that have anything to do with my algea problem?
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated as i'm at my wits end and even considering going to the pool store :mad:

When you say aiming for and FC of 4 do you mean that's what you bring it up to after testing? At a CYA of 45, treat it like it's 50 so minimum FC is 4 your target for when you add bleach is to get to 6. It should NEVER drop below 4.

IMO you should be targeting 7-8 and never below 4. That will give you some more room for burn off of FC so you don't fall below your min.
Also when you SLAM the pool are you going to all three criteria are met ? SLAM Process
1 water is crystal clear
2 CC of 0.5 or less
3 pass the OCLT

IMO you should be targeting 7-8 and never below 4. That will give you some more room for burn off of FC so you don't fall below your min.
Also when you SLAM the pool are you going to all three criteria are met ? SLAM Process
1 water is crystal clear
2 CC of 0.5 or less
3 pass the OCLT

Appreciate that tip. I will target the high end of the range. And yes I have been maintaining slam until all three items passed.

- - - Updated - - -

Anyone have any suggestions as to why my filter never losses pressure? Does that mean I need to change the sand? Could it have anything to do with my algae problem?

Anyone have any suggestions as to why my filter never losses pressure? Does that mean I need to change the sand? Could it have anything to do with my algae problem?
It never looses pressure because it is still filtering the water fine.

There are very few reasons to change the sand - like a conversion from Baqua to chlorine. Other than that it doesn't wear out.

You also have it backwards. The filter will not lose pressure but gain pressure as it starts to clog up. You should wait until the pressure rises 20-25% over the clean pressure before backwashing. If your pool is dirty that could be every hour or two at the beginning of a SLAM on a green monster or it could be weeks or even a month or more if the water is clean and there isn't much "stuff" brought in by swimmers or blown in with the wind.
What some people don't know is that a slightly dirty filter works better than clean one. That dirt plugs it up a bit and thus helps it filter out smaller stuff. That's why you don't want to be constantly backwashing your filter unless the pressure is telling you to.

Pool School info on filter maintenance :lookhere: http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/140-routine-pump-filter-maintenance

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.