Pool startup chem adding time frame.

Pne123

Aug 11, 2014
Anderson, ca
I am new to the forum. I have read the pool school pages. I have ordered the TF-100 test kit. I am so new I have not even figured out how to put my info in to my signature.

I just put up a 16’ x 48” Intex Ultra metal pool (5061 gal) with 1500 gpm cartridge filter and SWG. Located in Northern California
The pool was filled Monday from a well.
I added 120lbs of salt per Intex setup recommendations.

Now here is my questions. I ordered CYA but it will not be here until tomorrow? I am going to put in 1.3 lbs per intex recommendations. Can I wait this long or should I buy some on the way home from work?

Since my test kit will not be here for a week I took a pool sample to Leslies.

FAC LOW 0
TAC LOW 0
SALT OK 2700
CH LOW 80
CYA LOW 20
TA OK 90
pH OK 7.6
Copper ok 0
Iron OK 0
PHasphates OK 0

They recommend 10lbs 10oz of harness plus Calcium Hardness
Manual dosing, to add 3 oz of their Chlor Brite (Dichlor-S-Trianzinetrione). Isn’t the salt and SWG doing my sanitizing? Do they want me to add this just to get my FAC’s up?
One gal of Instant pool water conditioner to increase CYA.

Should I follow their recommendations and then take ownership of my chemicals when my test kit gets here or since I have salt and CYA in the pool can I wait a week?

You don't need CH in an above ground pool.

Add bleach to bring your FC up to about 5, and add enough CYA to get that up to 70. You need CYA and bleach in the pool before starting the SWG. You can get CYA at WalMart.

Welcome to TFP!

Yes, normal bleach. Not splashless, outdoor or scented bleach.
The current norm for bleach in the US is 8.25%, check the % sodium hypochlorite listed and input that to poolmath. If the % is not listed, it means it is low.

Also, you have not added CYA so far, so the 20ppm CYA reading is inaccurate as CYA doesn't occur naturally.
I recommend you read Pool School, in particular ABCs of pool water chemistry, the SWG overview and water balance for SWGs if you haven't already done so.

Thank you. I have been through the pool school but it is a lot to take in and w/o ever putting any of the info into practice it is hard wrap your head around.

I did add normal bleach and used the poolmath to determine how much.

I thought the 20 CYA was odd since I did not add any. My walmart was out of almost all pool chems so I swung by Leslies and they wanted $48 for a gallon. I have 4 lbs being delivered today from amazon for 1/3 of the price.

I have some chlorine test strips I bought for the spa (on accident since it is bromide) i will use them until my TF-100 arrives. I realize that w/o CYA the chlorine will burn off quickly but not sure how fast that really happens so I will add as needed then add the CYA and I should be good to go.

Why does an above ground pool not CH?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.