Dead mouse in skimmer basket. What to do?

g5marek

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 23, 2014
Markham/Ontario
I found a dead field mouse in my skimmer basket today. This is the second time it has happened this season. I disposed of the corpse, but what the question is what do you do when you find dead rodents or similar larger creatures in your pool?

My yard backs out onto a forest, so field mice are bound to fall into the pool.

My test results today using the K-2006 were:

FC = 3.2
CC = 0.4
PH = 7.8

I did not test TA, CH or CYA today.
On Aug 7th the results were:

TA = 80
CH = 110
CYA = 30.

I am working on bring the CYA to the recommended level for salt water pools.

I had to wait a few days to go and buy some CYA and hence I only added the CYA on Aug 11th. I am waiting a week for the CYA to dissolve before retesting. I also added some MA today to drop down the PH. All additions have been per PoolMath.

The CC is elevated today as it took two drops to make all of the pink go away. Usually, I have all of the pink go away within one drop and I record that as 0.2 for the CC.

I am assuming that this was the result of the dead mouse in the skimmer. Back to the original question, what do you do when you find dead rodents or similar larger creatures in your pool?

Don't bother with the 25ml sample and increased precision when performing the FAS/DPD test. It's not necessary. Your CC is below .5, as long as FC is where it belongs, there is nothing to worry about.

Out in the woods myself and get a critter occasionally. Glove up, toss it in the woods and make sure you are at or a little above the daily maintenance FC for your CYA level.

If you added some CYA you should be using the target level you used to add the stabilizer. If you added enough to go to 50 you should be using and TREATING the water like you had 50ppm CYA until you retest on the 17th or 18th and then use that number until you add more. You want to assume you have the level of CYA you targeted and made the addition for
Did you use a sock and stick it in the skimmer or in front of a return jet ??

Out in the woods myself and get a critter occasionally. Glove up, toss it in the woods and make sure you are at or a little above the daily maintenance FC for your CYA level.

If you added some CYA you should be using the target level you used to add the stabilizer. If you added enough to go to 50 you should be using and TREATING the water like you had 50ppm CYA until you retest on the 17th or 18th and then use that number until you add more. You want to assume you have the level of CYA you targeted and made the addition for
Did you use a sock and stick it in the skimmer or in front of a return jet ??

I put the CYA in a sock in the skimmer. It was gone from the sock the next day, but I understand that some small particles may still be in the sand filter and dissolving into the water.

Before seeing any responses to my original question, I had bumped up the SWG for a number of hours. I retested the water today and got:
FC = 9.0
CC = 0.2 or less (there was a slight shade of pink which was gone with the first drop)
PH = 7.7

With the FC I currently have, I am sure that I am above the target FC for both the CYA I tested and what I might get to with the CYA I added.

The good news is that whatever was making my CC slightly higher is now dead and the filter will remove whatever remains from the water. :)

Thank you everybody for your suggestions.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.