Skimmer replacement

Jun 26, 2014
Lexington, KY
We have a 35000 gallon in ground vinyl pool that may be the end of us. After losing prime, we had a pool expert take a look with some equipment at our skimmer/skimmer line. He detected a leak at the skimmer and dug up the ground under the concrete deck so that the entire skimmer is exposed. He then determined that the skimmer line (old fashioned black flex pipe) was likely compromised in other places and thought a complete excavation was necessary. I don't doubt this. To save $1500, my husband and son dug a trench from the pump to the skimmer. We'd already done the returns ourselves so i plumbed the line. Everything was going fine for about three days after hooking up the old skimmer to the new line. The skimmer water level started plummeting and when we looked underground - we have placed supports under the concrete deck- the skimmer was leaking water from around the middle where it telescopes in - this is an old skimmer i think - and maybe there's a gasket there? I thought maybe because the skimmer itself is not supported by ground anymore that is shifted - i see no cracks anywhere and the leak was not where i joined the pipe to the skimmer - it was halfway up the skimmer. I got the patent number off the skimmer and took it to a pool center who agreed to order a new one and install it. After almost 2 weeks, they got the skimmer but said they don't install anything underground. All the places i've called are backed up a month or so. Is there anyone who has had this experience or seen anything like this. I'm considering trying to install the skimmer myself but would like to know what i'm getting into. I'm the kind of person who needs exact instructions. I would really appreciate any advice you can give me. Thanks so much for providing this forum. I've found it helpful in many areas. I can provide pictures if you'd like.

- - - Updated - - -

I PROBABLY SHOULD HAVE MENTIONED THAT PRIOR TO THE INSTALLATION OF A VINYL LINER, THE POOL WAS CALLED A LOW HANGING LINER AND THERE IS FIBERGLASS ABOUT 3 OR FEET DOWN UNDER THE LINER. DON'T KNOW IF THAT COMPLICATES THINGS. THANKS AGAIN

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.