The Beckert Pool

Okay, I think I understand. I thought you guys were saying that the CYA may have turned into ammonia, which would show up as high CC. But what you were actually saying, is that a high CC may indicate the presence of ammonia, because the chlorine is destroying the ammonia. So, a reading of zero CC doesn't necessarily indicate no ammonia, it may just indicate that the chlorine has already been used up destroying ammonia.

pH is holding at 7.5, TC still indicating 0.0. I've just added bleach to bring things up to shock level again. Will check again in 30 minutes. Stay tuned!

Yeah, something like that.

With no CYA in the water, the sun will destroy the FC in a matter of hours. So, waiting too long does not tell me anything.

If within 30-60 minutes the FC are almost gone and the CC is "high" that would indicate the presence of ammonia and you should keep bumping the FC back to shock level as often as you can (30+ minutes) until the CC drops and the FC starts to hold. Then add the CYA and continue the SLAM process.

Okay, tested 30 minutes later. FC reads 10, CC reads 1. 10 was my target shock level, so it doesn't seem like it's dropped much in 30 minutes. I'm guessing a CC of 1 is not high. I will wait and test again at the hour mark, unless you advise otherwise.

Tested again at the hour mark. CC still reads 1, FC now reads 7.

The ABCs section suggests solid stabilizer as the more economical option, so that's what we'll go with. That section also advises the CYA level not be checked until a week later, so I reckon the SLAM will be on hold until then.

That section also suggests dispensing the CYA in a sock (I assume that's just a regular sock like you'd wear on your foot) left in one of the skimmer baskets. So we'll do that, unless you guys advise otherwise.

I guess I'll go to either Lowes or Walmart to get some stabilizer, unless you have a cheaper alternative.

Yup put it in a plain old sock and put it you your skimmer ... or hang it in front of a return jet (if you think you may need to backwash in the next few days). Squeeze it when you can to speed up the dissolving.

Once it is gone, assume you are at your CYA target, but do not bother testing for a week to confirm.

With no CYA in the water, the FC is lost to the sun very quickly.

Once it is gone, assume you are at your CYA target, but do not bother testing for a week to confirm.

woodyp suggested a CYA of 30 ppm. If I just assume (without testing) that's where it's at once I dissolve the CYA, that would mean using a different FC target level for the SLAM. Is that really a good idea? I also see that, until the week is up, I'm not supposed to backwash the filter. That's going to limit the amount of vacuuming I can do during the SLAM process.

I feel like the smart move is to just put the CYA in, wait the week, confirm the level, and then SLAM. No?

Do as woody said, which is the same that I said. The FC level is not really that much different for a CYA of 30ppm. It will be fine.

If you have the socks in front of the return jet, then you have no worry about undissolved CYA in the filter and can backwash as needed.

Waiting a week is going to just delay getting the pool cleaned up.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Measure CYA carefully to get the amount for your 30 and put that In the sock. Assume CYA 30 immediately and begin SLAM now. Waiting will just give stuff in the water more time to grow.

Update! Got the CYA, it's in the socks now, being distributed. Prior to adding bleach today, test indicated an FC of 0. Added bleach to shock level (12) for a CYA of 30. Tested after about an hour, some interesting results: pH has dropped to 7.2. FC reads 13, CC reads 1. Hmmm!

The CYA is acidic so it can lower the pH some ... although adding all that bleach should have raised it. Remember the pH test is not valid when the FC > 10ppm.

Either you calcs were off to target 12ppm, or the bleach is strong, or the pool is smaller than you think, or a combination of all.

Okay. But I assume a CC of .5 or 1 is not too bad either?

Another question: We've been having a lot of rain lately. It's been raining off-and-on all day yesterday, all day today, and it's supposed to do the same thing tomorrow. In the past, we've not bothered trying to shock on rainy days, believing that the rain will just wash out the chlorine, and it's money wasted. What do you think? But the SLAM on hold until the rain quits? How long a dry spell do you need, for it to be worth it to shock the pool?

If the CC is more than 1 drop, that could indicate a problem.

Rain has very little effect on the pool chemistry unless you are getting feet of it. Algae will not stop growing because of rain. You are just going to have to get a little wet.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.