Jennej's pool build -- near Charlotte, NC

jennej

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 20, 2008
Hi all,

Frequent lurker, first time poster. My husband and I decided to add a pool and have spent the last few months researching and interviewing builders. We have a pretty tight budget. We are in North Carolina, about 40 miles north of Charlotte, and pool construction is EXPENSIVE here. We want to have some money left over for landscaping! :mrgreen: Construction started on July 31. We are hoping to be done by early September so we still have some time to swim this summer.

Specs:

• 16x36 vinyl liner in-ground w/polymer walls
    3.5 - 6 ft. deep
    Keyhole shape
    Cantilevered stamped concrete coping
    Stained concrete pool deck w/slip resistance
    Pentair WhisperFlo model #WFDS-26
    Pentair cartridge filter model #CCP240
    Pump timer
    Inter-fab Scupper waterfall http://www.interfab.com/catalog/wf_scupper.php

We will be adding a SWG later (our builder's standard is Nature2 Express, which we know is junk, but it was too expensive to upgrade through him). Until we get the SWG we will use the BBB method. Am I right in thinking we can just remove the Nature2 Express cartridge to bypass it?

I've set up a Flickr photoset with lots of photos here: http://flickr.com/photos/jennyhoneycutt/sets/72157606474542813/

Here are a few pics to get you started:

Google SketchUp drawing:
2735527857_498c8679cc.jpg

Backyard before:
2719874733_58a05aeafd.jpg

Day of dig:
2719888465_14b3fce63e.jpg

Walls:
2733050210_a4ec349643.jpg

Equipment:
2735423011_99c7a3d0bb.jpg

Looking forward to sharing more pics as the build progresses. We would love to hear your comments and suggestions too!

Thanks!
Jenny

WoW! I really loved the extra pics! I can't wait to see more! 8)

branchop said:
Who is building your pool? I am nearby, in Union County, right over the border....
Branchop, we are using Quality Pools out of Oakboro, NC. They have been great so far.

Here are a few more pics:

View from second story (equipment will be moved about 5-7 ft to the left tomorrow, so that it's closer to the deep end of the pool -- its placement right now won't allow us to build the 10x20 arbor that we are planning)
2738102921_a7cb5bb806.jpg

Huge pile of dirt in the backyard (not sure what we're going to do with all this extra dirt, but I'm sure we'll figure out something...guess I will have to learn how to garden :shock: )
2738942346_203fe70ecb.jpg

There's no work going on today, but hopefully I'll have more pics tomorrow afternoon.

Electrical rough failed inspection yesterday ("round, flexible corner sections of pool not bonded"). Not sure when that will be corrected.

Today the equipment was moved and the pool was backfilled.

2744774748_19625d11cf.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We are almost done! Still have to do a bunch of landscaping, but that will happen slowly. We also have to build an enclosure around the equipment; hope to have that done by next weekend. And of course there is lots of clean-up that has to be done. Sod was installed yesterday--it is SO nice to see green instead of orange around the pool. The end is in sight!

2833269136_c43c5dc650_o.jpg

Oh~ GEEEEEEE!

It looks 10x's better with crystal clear, shimmery water! :mrgreen:

Enjoy your pool! It's gorgeous! 8)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.