Jun 26, 2013
Irmo, SC
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
My husband and I went away for ten days and had my brother add chlorine to the pool while we were gone. I forgot to tell him to also backwash, so by the time we returned, the water wasn't circulating. The pool was still clear, but there was brownish algae creeping across the floor. I backwashed and shocked and it went away. We've had a lot of rain recently, and I accidentally let the chlorine level fall pretty low a few days ago. The algae is back. Water is still clear, though not sparkly. I brought it up to 12, which is the shock level based on our 30 CYA.

My question is, can I let the kids swim in it? From what I gathered from other posts, it's okay to swim if you can see the bottom and the FC is below shock level and PH is in range. So once it falls to 11 they can swim, even with the algae continuing to grow on the bottom? (I vacuumed it up this morning, but feel certain it will grow back.)

Also, I am not 100% sure of my CYA reading since the test is a little subjective. It could be 20 instead of 30. Would that mean I need to let the FC fall to 9 to let them swim just in case? Not sure how dangerous swimming above shock level is.

Thank you for any input!

My question is, can I let the kids swim in it? From what I gathered from other posts, it's okay to swim if you can see the bottom and the FC is below shock level and PH is in range. So once it falls to 11 they can swim, even with the algae continuing to grow on the bottom? (I vacuumed it up this morning, but feel certain it will grow back.)

Also, I am not 100% sure of my CYA reading since the test is a little subjective. It could be 20 instead of 30. Would that mean I need to let the FC fall to 9 to let them swim just in case? Not sure how dangerous swimming above shock level is.
To be honest, if it is just a little above shock level it is really more damaging to their swimsuits than them. That is if they don't have any skin issues, then it may cause irritation.

Now, it would actually be best to conduct a full SLAM to make sure all the little buggers are dead.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.