New above ground pool inground installation

Aug 4, 2014
Allen, TX
I started an installation of the above ground pool inground. It is a Radiant pool, 2" thick insulated aluminum walls, rated for in-ground installation. I have dug up the site with mini-excavator and now I am getting ready to "smooth" it out, level it etc. Hole is 13" wider than the pool itself. My question is this; once I get it level and smooth, should I use plate compactor to compact soil more. Jumping jack would just displace the soil on such a bit area, rather than compact it, I guess. The hole is 50" deep, some parts I might have disturbed the soil a bit, not much. It is pure black Texas clay, and a bit moist. Parts that were disturbed, I planned on adding gradually in 1" increments some soil and then compacting it. At most I have 2"-3" to add, and it is pretty localized, and in the middle. All around I need to shave of some 2"-3" by hand. For this I was thinking about renting a sod cutter. Not sure how well that would work. Any ideas? After pool is installed, a collar 12"x8" of concrete will be poured all base of the pool, and then backfilled with slurry.

Sod cutter will loosen the soil to a specific depth, which could be good but you'll have to scoop it away regardless. Level what you have carefully and compact it. Then I would cover the entire bottom area with a 3" layer of class 5 type material. Filling in the low spots with more, high spots with less but I'd still maintain a minimum depth of 3" of class 5. Something that will level and compact well and not wash/rinse out and shift like sand or disturbed soil.

We had a downpour two days ago, and I ended up with 4 inches of water in the hole, that turned some spots into a thick mud. I will take weeks for it to dry. I am going to get me some hydrated lime to get it to dry so I can work with it. Anybody sees any problems with using hydrated lime?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.