DE Filter screens crushed from weight of DE - orig pblm: pump/motor electrical relay

Aug 12, 2014
San Diego/CA
I have 2 problems and I think problem #1 caused problem #2....but need your professional opinion.
Problem #1 diagnosed by pool repair co.
My Jandy electrical panel/board/relay/electrical failure caused the filter pump motor (2HP challenger motor) to receive only 120v instead of the needed 220v. this caused the motor to flicker on and off randomly every 45-90 seconds for 4 hours during programed run time. Since this happened during the day when I wasn't home, I was unaware of the problem and am not sure how long this went on. After a long weekend away, I came home to DE covering the bottom of the pool.

Problem #2 MYSTERY: DE blown back into the pool, covering bottom of the pool.
Is it possible with problem #1 the pool filter system could not filter properly and the DE built up in inside the filter and it accumulated on top of the manifold and the top of the filter screens, crushing the screen edges from the weight of the DE build-up causing gaps, and the increased pressure inside caused hairline fractures in the manifold and these two things caused DE to be blown back into the pool?

Your expertise is important as the insurance company will only cover problem #2 if it is related to problem #1. Why would there be DE on pool bottom??

Attachments

• 100_8065 - Copy-Optimized-Optimized.JPG
    100_8065 - Copy-Optimized-Optimized.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 100_8061 - Copy-Optimized-Optimized.JPG
    100_8061 - Copy-Optimized-Optimized.JPG
    43.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 100_8057 - Copy-Optimized-Optimized.JPG
    100_8057 - Copy-Optimized-Optimized.JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 17
IWelcome to TFP!

First, I do not think a 230 volt pump will run at all with only 115 volts, so I do not understand that explanation.

Second the pump turning off and on would not cause any added pressure in the filter or build up of DE like you are trying to explain.

DE can only get into the pool if there is damage in the filter or backwash valve and nothing you have stated would cause any damage IMO.

Btw, those filter pictures look normal me.

What is the background for the pool and equipment?

IWelcome to TFP!

First, I do not think a 230 volt pump will run at all with only 115 volts, so I do not understand that explanation.

Second the pump turning off and on would not cause any added pressure in the filter or build up of DE like you are trying to explain.

DE can only get into the pool if there is damage in the filter or backwash valve and nothing you have stated would cause any damage IMO.

Btw, those filter pictures look normal me.

What is the background for the pool and equipment?

Thanks for the fast reply!
Pool Equip Info:
Voltage info 220 vs 120. 220 is what was supposed to have going to motor cuz of "electrical problem, volt meter read only 120.
Original Motor had once been rebuilt within last 2-3 years. Just had the filter pump motor replaced today.
The Filter is a Nautilus 60 sqr ft filter and was installed late 80s early 90s.

Can't replace the faulty Jandy electronic outdoor panel and relay cuz parts have not arrived. The Jandy outdoor electronics board was replaced almost 2 yrs ago (I went from manual switches moving from left to right to panel/board with press able buttons).

Today I have the problem I described above. The insurance company approved the repair for the parts and lablor for the Motor, Jandy board and relay. But will only approve the repair of the filter if it is related to problem #1. I am no expert, but the screens looked fine to me too, but with all the DE caked on the screens its hard to tell; I will have to hose off all the DE to further inspect the screens for damage. But the upper manifold did have 3 hairline fractures in the plastic.

The mystery is why would the system blow DE back into the pool during vacuum mode (see pic)? What are all the things we should look for on the screens and the backwash valve? Thanks for the help, I appreciate it!

Attachments

• 100_8051-Optimized.JPG
    100_8051-Optimized.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 15
  • _00_0798Cropped-Optimized.jpg
    _00_0798Cropped-Optimized.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 15
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.