Pump sounds like a piece of plastic is bouncing around, no water movement

Jul 25, 2012
Georgia
Guys, my wife pointed out the pump was making a funny noise...I said "The pump is not even on", as water in the pool was still.
Cleaned the pump basket, and after restarting, there was no customary rush of bubbles into the basket, and the noise persisted.
After shutting down the pump, you continue to hear the sound of plastic bumping around for 2 seconds.

Is my impeller gone?

If you buy the whole pump it will include the impeller. The pump motor bolts onto the wet end (where the water intake from pool and outflow to filter are located). The impeller is in the wet end. If all you did last time was switch out motors then you did not change impellers. What brand is the pump?

Just reviewed the YouTube video on changing a pump motor. Seems likely the impeller is somehow gotten loose. The sound I hear for 2 seconds after shutdown is the impeller spinning loosely. Will disassemble tomorrow and inspect.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.