Motor going out, replace Pump? or just motor?

Mar 24, 2010
Dallas, TX
So my pump motor is going out, my pump is a 2HP Pentair Challenger. The motor is starting to not work well. What I mean by that is that the motor upon start will make a loud whining noise and sometimes simply shut off since I guess it is not turning the impeller. I popped the cap off at the back of the motor to see what happens.

When I turn it on, sometimes the back part turns and thats when the motor begins to pump. other times it just makes a really high pitch whine and shuts off. If I try to turn it on again it won't even try. So I wait and noticed I hear a click near the motor, which then I am able to try again.

I don't know if the motor can be fixed, so I was looking at replacing it. then I thought, maybe I should just get a new pump altogether if I am going to spend a couple of hundred dollars anyway.

I need advise as to wether the motor symptoms are something that can be fixed or if I should replace the motor and how to pick a new motor.

I took a pic of the tag on the motor for reference.

thanks.

This is actually my parents pool, who they just moved in.

Its a free form in ground concrete pool with a spa attached. My guess is its about 20k gallons, they have a Pentair Challenger 2hp, and a pentair filter. Not sure of its DE or cartridge.

I don't know if the 2hp pump was original from the builder...we found an old pump that was in the garage...

upon moving in they did some tile work and found out they have a serious leak in the pool. there is a big crack in the side of the pool.

Replacing a capacitor is not hard, but could be potentially very dangerous if you do not know how to handle and discharge the capacitor. One of them is under that big hump on the motor and the other would be inside the rear cover.

The other possibility is that the centrifugal switch is dirty and needs cleaning, but I think less likely.

The click you are hearing could be a thermal overload protection switch. But I don't think a bad cap or switch would cause overheating.

Can you easily turn the motor by hand?

I removed the cap from the back of the motor and can turn the motor with my fingers...I am just not sure if the fix is as easy as replacing the cap...which is this something that I have to remove and try and get it at leslies? or is it cheaper to order online?

I don't want to replace it and lose all the time in waiting for the replacement capacitor for it to not work....

It could certainly be just the capacitor. If you have an electrical supply store nearby or even a Grainger, bring it in to them and you could probably get a replacement on the spot for less than $20. If that doesn't work it might be your motor bearings are going bad and putting extra strain on the cap for starting. If the new cap doesn't fix it you'll need to check/change the bearings or get a new motor most likely.

I will try to remove the capacitor tonight and try that route first...

Do I check both of them/replace both of them? my pump has the big hump on top that is the capacitor inside...

if this route doesn't work...How can I make sure I order the correct motor replacement...I am unsure of what info from the label I need...

thanks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
so I brought the capacitor to grangier and they checked it and it is good...is the big capacitor on top(the one I removed) the run capacitor?

I tried to remove the back cover of the motor to see if I check if there is another capacitor there but couldn't open it up. is this where the start capacitor is located?

- - - Updated - - -

The replacement motor is an AO Smith/Century B855. For a two speed motor it would be the B2984. Or if you want a built in timer the B2984T.

sergent, according to my motor, the service factor is 2.20 HP, and the one you recommend the B855 from what I found is a 2HP with Service Factor of 1.1HP....

are you sure this is what I need to get?

Yours is a 2HP motor with a 1.1 SF making the SFHP = 2.2

I am not exactly sure which cap is the run cap and which is the start cap, I think the one in the back cover is the start cap.

If you look at the table on this page, the 346201/CH11-N1-2A, which is what is on your motor nameplate, has the B855 as the replacement motor. It is a 2HP with a service factor of 1.1. Like Jason said, that makes a SFHP of 2 x 1.1 = 2.2. That is exactly what your motor is.

I would actually recommend the two speed motor because in the long run you will save money by running on low except when you are vacuuming or running the spa. But if you do that, you will also have to have a way to switch between high and low.

By the way, the high pitch whine makes me think it is probably bearings that are beginning to wear out rather than the capacitor.

My pump went tango uniform Saturday afternoon. A repair guy finally got here yesterday to replace the motor. Had an estimate to replace the motor for $333. When he got the seal plate removed he found cracks where the mount bolts are. That would be another $75 or so. So now we're up over $400. I can get a single speed for just $450 something. He recommended getting a Intelleflo 3hp VS pump or possibly a $200 less expensive new Superflow 1hp VS . I read reviews that suggested the Intelliflo VS would give somewhat better energy savings that could pay for itself in about 18 months or even less. So, I ordered the 3HP Intelliflo VS. It should be here Tuesday so in the mean time, I'm putting bleach in my pool.

The Superflo probably would not be large enough for the original poster. The Intelliflo would be large enough, but at around $900 or more it is much more expensive than replacing his motor and seals. We are talking a $500 difference (maybe more) between that and a two speed motor. I believe Dallas has relatively low electricity rates, so it is unlikely the more expensive pump would be worthwhile unless he wanted it for something other than energy savings.

However, if he is replacing the whole pump with a two speed pump, a likely choice that would give him flow close to what he has now would be the Whisperflo WFDS-6 or WFDS-28. That will cost him over $700, so it is only a couple hundred dollars more to go to the variable speed.

I know those Challenger Pumps don't digest a lot of the debris that make it though the pump basket and you can't reach the impeller through the housing with your fingers, so if I have an opportunity to replace them, I do it unless you don't have issues with little leaves and palm hairs there.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.