What plugs for return jets? What a mystery!

I own an inground vinyl lined pool and will be winterizing it for the first time this year. What I am confused and frustrated about is the various opinions as to what type of plug to use in the 1.5 inch return jets for the winter…oh yeah…I live in Niagara Falls, Canada.
I have seen several people here have recommended the Hayward sp1022c type plug. However, all the reading I have done suggest that these are meant for concrete pools.
I know the abs threaded plugs exist and I have also seen these by Feherguard:

Please help…I want the best product for max resuts.
feherguard.jpg

Winterizing my Raypac (Rheem) heater?

I Merged your there together to keep the full story in one place. You will get much better answers that way. -Karmabiker

I have an inground pool in a very cold climate and I will be lowering my water below my returns.

Question has to do with my raypac heater...it is new and have no idea what step 2 and 3 are referring to. Any help with further instructions or diagrams would be helpful. Also how do I know if I have an ASME heater?

1. Turn off gas valve, manual gas valve, and electrical
supply to the heater.

2. Open drain plug located on the inlet/outlet header,
(under water pipes). Remove the heat exchanger
inspection panel on the side opposite water piping
to gain access to the drain plug on the return header.
Open drain plug on return header.

3. For ASME Heaters only: Disconnect compression
fittings from the pressure switch and return header
that connects to the 1/4" copper tube and allow the
tube to drain.

Last edited by a moderator:
With my heater, I just drain the water out of it, then disconnect the two plumbing lines, let that drain, then reconnect them but loosely. As to return line plugs, mine are not threaded - it is simply the end of the pipe that is cut off on an angle slightly in from the edge of the plaster, so I use rubber plugs with a wing nut. They expand and seal the pipe opening.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.