hi ph rough plaster

Hi, I am having some problems with my gunite plastered pool. I have a salt system and no matter what I do, I can not get my ph below 8.2. I can add acid to the pool and get it to 7.6 for 1 day, the next day it is at 8.2. My plaster is getting very rough and I am finding my polaris bag full of what looks like white sand. I am leary of adding more acid. All my other chemistry is in balance other than my ph which is 8.2 My plaster is less than 1 year old and I am afraid it si ruined. What is happening? I never had this problem with my first pool which was plaster but I always used chlorine tablets. What is going wrong?

YOu must get your pH down....sooner rather than later. You simply have no choice because you are damaging the plaster with that high pH. Use Jason's calculator in my sig and add enough acid to your pool to keep it arouind 7.4 for now.

Next, post a set of test results for your pool water. That'll give us some insight as to what's happening in your pool.

Again, you must get your pH down and keep it down, The acid won't damage your pool but the high pH has already begun to.

I just want to emphasize what duraleigh said. Keep your PH below 8.0 if at all possible, even if that means adding acid twice a day. Bringing the PH all the way down to 7.2 will give you a little more time before it gets back up to 8.0. High PH leads to calcium scaling, which is exactly what you are describing.

Fresh plaster will raise the PH rapidly and the TA and CH levels more slowly for the first three or four weeks. The PH will continue rising much more slowly for up to a year.

You should post a full set of test results. I suspect that you have some water balance issues. You might find this thread helpful:
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=3663

Trichlor is acidic so it is a different animal when it comes to proper water balance compared to a SWG! Please post test results for FC, TC, CC, pH, TA, CH, CYA, salt, and borates (if you are using them). Even with new plaster pH should not be that difficult to control with a SWG if your water balance is correct (particularly TA ande CYA!)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.