Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: hi ph rough plaster

1. Back To Top    #1

hi ph rough plaster

Hi, I am having some problems with my gunite plastered pool. I have a salt system and no matter what I do, I can not get my ph below 8.2. I can add acid to the pool and get it to 7.6 for 1 day, the next day it is at 8.2. My plaster is getting very rough and I am finding my polaris bag full of what looks like white sand. I am leary of adding more acid. All my other chemistry is in balance other than my ph which is 8.2 My plaster is less than 1 year old and I am afraid it si ruined. What is happening? I never had this problem with my first pool which was plaster but I always used chlorine tablets. What is going wrong?
    i'VE FALLEN IN AND i DON'T WANT TO GET OUT.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: hi ph rough plaster

YOu must get your pH down....sooner rather than later. You simply have no choice because you are damaging the plaster with that high pH. Use Jason's calculator in my sig and add enough acid to your pool to keep it arouind 7.4 for now.

Next, post a set of test results for your pool water. That'll give us some insight as to what's happening in your pool.

Again, you must get your pH down and keep it down, The acid won't damage your pool but the high pH has already begun to.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I just want to emphasize what duraleigh said. Keep your PH below 8.0 if at all possible, even if that means adding acid twice a day. Bringing the PH all the way down to 7.2 will give you a little more time before it gets back up to 8.0. High PH leads to calcium scaling, which is exactly what you are describing.

Fresh plaster will raise the PH rapidly and the TA and CH levels more slowly for the first three or four weeks. The PH will continue rising much more slowly for up to a year.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you. I am adding enough acid now, will get back to you. Many thanks for your advice and help
    i'VE FALLEN IN AND i DON'T WANT TO GET OUT.

5. Back To Top    #5

You should post a full set of test results. I suspect that you have some water balance issues. You might find this thread helpful:
    viewtopic.php?f=21&t=3663

Trichlor is acidic so it is a different animal when it comes to proper water balance compared to a SWG! Please post test results for FC, TC, CC, pH, TA, CH, CYA, salt, and borates (if you are using them). Even with new plaster pH should not be that difficult to control with a SWG if your water balance is correct (particularly TA ande CYA!)