Jul 19, 2014
Enid, OK
FC: 6.0
CC: 0.5
PH: 7.8
CYA: 25
TA: 320
CH: 450

Pool has looked sparkly for about 3 weeks consistently, but I know that doesn't always mean a well balanced pool. I put in a gallon of 8.25% every other day. FC drops by about 2.5 by day 2. I've made a couple attempts to get my TA lower by reducing PH with muriatic acid to 7.2 followed by aeration. TA hasn't reduced much, and PH climbs back pretty fast to 7.8-8.2.

I'm hesitant to put in stabelizer to get my CYA between 30-50, because I did a partial drain/refill a few weeks ago due to high CYA. I suppose I could stand to add a little stabelizer that I have on hand. What would you tackle next?

I have lots of tall oak trees in the yard. Pool gets full sun for about 6 hrs/day, but I think the trees cause me to vacuum dirt about 1-2 times/week. I run the pump about 10 hrs/day, currently.

About once/week I get a water boatman bug in the pool. I've always been able to catch them in the net, then they hop around on the deck before they get smashed. Any idea what's causing them to exist in my pool? I've never had more than two at a time. I assume they're feeding on something. They hang out on the side of the pool near the surface.

Thanks all!

With a TA reading that high have you ruled out the static issue? The TA test is susceptible to static electricity which causes small drops and thus a high reading.The solution is to wipe the tip with a clean damp cloth as described in the extended test directions.

I agree with Jason, if you got that CYA up just a little you would cut down your FC losses to the sun. With your current CYA 25 you really only need FC of 2 - 4. Anything above 4 gets eaten up a little quicker by the sun. If going over on the CYA scares you , dare I say pick up some 3" tabs and use them for a little while. They will bring it up slowly and cut down on your bleach usage for a little while. Vacations and days away from the house are good times to do this.

Thanks for the replies! I'll add some stabelizer tonight. I'll just do it slow and take CYA up to about 35. It's held steady at 25 long enough to give me confidence that its not going to rise unexpectedly, which now that bleach is my only sanitizer, it won't. I threw a puck in the other day, but CYA wasn't really effected.

I've used a damp cloth for all my TA tests - wiping the tip between each drop. I also have frequency with the water turning yellow instead of red for whatever reason.

I'll add some stabelizer tonight. I'll just do it slow and take CYA up to about 35. It's held steady at 25 long enough to give me confidence that its not going to rise unexpectedly

FWIW, from my observations CYA 30 seems to be a bit of a tipping point

I used Dichlor for a while to build CYA up from zero - to stay in range I was consistently adding about 3-4 ppm FC per day, sometimes more when very sunny or lots of kids in the pool!

FC loss didn't seem to change much at all until I got to CYA 30, then the daily FC loss dropped right off to around 1-2 ppm

Maybe some of the TFP experts can explain this better than me!

Each 8 oz puck should only add ~1.7 ppm cya your target should be 30-50 how much depends on how much sun you get every day. When I was dropping my cya, I too overshot to 25. I used pucks to slowly bring it back up to 50. Worked great for me, and can for you too. The puck you put in a couple days ago will only give you the full cya once it's fully dissolved. For me it was ~4 days, in a floater a bit more.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.