Hello All

Aug 12, 2014
Friendswood, TX
I just joined TFP, but have been browsing for some time. I'm located in Friendswood, TX. Looks like there are lots of Texas and Houston area people here!

We're in the process of building our first pool. I've never owned a pool before (grew up with one, but never owned/operated one).

We signed our contract in mid-May, dug June 20, and I figure we are probably 3 to 4 weeks away from being complete. We've got our landscaping plants purchased and awaiting installation once construction is done. I'm ready to not have a clay mud pit outside my backdoor!!

The next step will be a very basic outdoor kitchen - really more just a grill island. I look forward to pestering people here with questions once we start the equipment up!

Thanks for the links. I'm ordering a test kit today!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the welcome. I'll start up a construction thread and post some pictures when I get a chance. I am really crossing my fingers that we'll be done in the next 2 weeks.

I just got my TF-100 test kit. Is there any reason to test my fill water before we fill the pool up? What would I be test for? Calcium hardness, pH, something else?

Heck yes! Test your fill water for two reasons. First it gets you used to performing the tests with confidence. Second it lets you know where your water chemistry is starting out. Test the fill water for pH, CH, TA. Not really necessary to test for CYA (there should be none in all sources other than pool water) and FC/CC should be very minimal compared to pool levels. Make sure you test water that has not been softened. If you're using your own well or city water, collect cold water after it has been running for several minutes in a clean container.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Some people here do not have pools, but IMO in general, those folks came from up North and are not yet considered to be Texans.

Lots and lots and lots of reasons for Texans to have a pool. Below is just a few examples, there are many more, and its a family forum, so.... for starters.
1. It's very hot here in Spring Time .
2. Its very very hot here in summer.
3. It's very very very hot here in late summer - such as now.
4. Us Texans are generally friendly folks and we like to invite our friends to have some pool fun.
5. We like to cook out and need a pool in order to do a proper Texan cook out - with friends of course.

Is there anyone in Texas that does not have a pool???

:wave: Welcome!

"The stars at night are big and bright ~clap - clap - clap - clap~ deep in the heart of Texas" :D

Those numbers look pretty dog gone good :goodjob: Is the fill water municipal or well water?

Welcome to the forum :wave:

That is city water. I even tested it after coming through the hose I will use for the fill.

- - - Updated - - -

Is there anyone in Texas that does not have a pool???

:wave: Welcome!

Just me, for another week or so, then it will be everybody! Thanks for the welcome.

- - - Updated - - -

The Governor, he has two pools.

Greetings CusePool.

Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Some people here do not have pools, but IMO in general, those folks came from up North and are not yet considered to be Texans.

Lots and lots and lots of reasons for Texans to have a pool. Below is just a few examples, there are many more, and its a family forum, so.... for starters.
1. It's very hot here in Spring Time .
2. Its very very hot here in summer.
3. It's very very very hot here in late summer - such as now.
4. Us Texans are generally friendly folks and we like to invite our friends to have some pool fun.
5. We like to cook out and need a pool in order to do a proper Texan cook out - with friends of course.

Concur with all. We should have a good two plus months of hot swimming weather left by the time we get done.