Water looking greenish and cloudy

Jan 21, 2014
Bartlesville, OK
Hi all
I've been doing good all summer. Then last week we had a week of storms. Around Tuesday the bottom filled with leaves. On Saturday I notice a discolor coming from around the leaves. When I went to vacuumed up the leaves the whole pool got cloudy green and has stayed like that. I have left the filter going. I have added extra bleach to slam it. I added a clearer fluid yesterday and then thought maybe my ph was too high so added a ph dropper last night too. I then tried to slam the pool last night with double the bleach again. Still cloudy green

These were my recordings before I added the ph dropper and the clearer liquid.
My CYN was 40 before the rain. If anything it dropped a bit from the rain.
Any help from anyone? I have used good bleach all summer and my numbers and water have been great.

My clorine is good
My ph was 7.8
My TA was 130
My Cyn was 40

If you are going to follow TFP methods you really need to do a little more reading back in the Pool School.

You let leaves sit in the bottom of the pool for five days and I'm going to guess that that caused the FC to drop and algae has begun to grow. That was proven when you removed the leaves and stirred up the growing algae, hence green and cloudy.

We do not "shock" our pools, we follow the SLAM Process when there is a problem.

After the "shock", what is your FC other than "good"? What test kit are you using?

You need to read the directions on SLAMing your pool in the How To section of Pool School and follow that procedure completely to the end.

I've read the TFP method and kept to it all summer. Sorry when I said "shock" the pool I just meant that I put extra amounts of bleach. So the good clorine reading only means that I have more bleach then normal to "slam" the pool. I couldn't get to the pool to vacuum it out until Saturday as we had none stop rain and a family emergency. I have the recommended kit from here and have been using it all summer. My FC has been between 2 to 4 every day. My FC reading is at 7 but only because I added double the bleach last night. I added 5 cups of bleach thinking I could try and "slam" the water
Thank you

Piper Mike said:
My clorine is good
Backing up what tim5055 stated, we need hard numbers to determine whether the FC is really "good" since "good", in and of itself, is very subjective and imprecise.

Leaves often contain biofilms and having a large quantity of them sit at the bottom of the pool for several days, especially at the warmer water temps of summer, can increase the rate of FC consumption thereby giving algae a foothold to begin growing. It sounds like a SLAM is in your future.

I would also suggest reading the ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

I have the recommended kit from here and have been using it all summer. My FC has been between 2 to 4 every day.
Thanks for posting your FC levels. With a CYA of 40, you need to maintain FC in the range of 3 - 7 ppm. Since FC occasionally dropped to 2, this provides an opportunity for algae to take hold - and that's under normal conditions. Adding a pile of leaves to this equation will add more biofilm to the water and increase FC consumption which speeds up the process of algae growth. When dosing FC, I would target between 5 and 6 ppm to allow for normal FC loss to sunlight and lessen the likelihood of FC dropping below 3 ppm.

As for the SLAM, you will need to kick the FC up to a target of 16 ppm and maintain that level as close as you can until the pool clears up.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.