What do i need here?

Jun 19, 2007
Charleston, SC
Every time i vacuum my pool floor clean, shortly after it has very fine yellow/brown particles that have dumped themselves back onto the floor via the wall ports. I vacuum, then backwash, then turn the pump back on filter, and if you go over and look at the jets, you can actually see the discolored water and small particles being dumped back into the pool - very frustrating! Where can i find a vacuum or pump that i can use to just suck that stuff off the floor and directly into the backyard, completely bypassing the pool's filter? Any thoughts?

When I vacuum, the valve is set to filter, then I turn it off and take the vacuum out of the skimmer and turn it on backwash for a few minutes. Then i turn it off and set it to filter again for normal use. that's when the junk flushes back into the pool. I think i've tried vacuuming the scum in waste mode too, but i remember that it still seems to come back in through the wall jets...

dolemite77
Hello this is the standard procedure.

vacuum on filter,
backwash till water is clear,
rinse for 20 or 30 seconds,

If you want you can vacuum to waste, but you will lose a lot of water.

Also you don't have to backwash everytime you vacuum, [in fact it's better if you don't] only when the pressure gauge goes 8 to 10 psi above what it is just after back washing

Happy Swims Frank

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.