Pump still loosing prime...pictures attached

Cpool

Oct 30, 2013
Baton Rouge, LA
Hi guys, my pump continues to loose it's prime and I 'm searching the problem. I removed my filters valve which is a pentair hi flow 6 way valve. I noticed the spider gasket appears to be messed up, but I also notice a part in the valve body which looked broken. Please take a look and let me know if that piece in the picture is infact broken and if you guys think it is an important part and could be causing me to loose prime.

When I turn the pump off you can immediately hear water rush out from the valve so I think that's where my problem is.

These pictures are from the valve below the diverter. Thanks so much.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 124
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 124
Dropping prime is usually a suction side air leak and not related to your multiport valve.

What is your psi with the pump off?

What is your psi (pump running) and in "filter" position?

Do you see air in the pump basket when the pump is running?

There is an article in Pool School on suction side leaks that may help you.

Psi is 0 with pump off and around 15psi with it on. I've read that many say the valve usually has nothing to do with it but when you turn the pump off you can hear the water rush from right at the valve and then it loses prime. Should I have a psi with the pump off?

So it only loses prime once you shut the pump off?

If that's the case, then it could be the multiport leaking air back into the system once the pump is shut off.

It is probably worth it to replace the spider gasket and see if that helps.

I had the same thing happen and tightening the screw on the band that attaches the multi-port to the tank solved my problem. Apparently there was enough gap to leak air when the system was off but not enough gap to leak water while the system was running! Just noticed yours was a Pentair, mine is a Hayward so my fix may not apply to yours?

Hi guys, I changed
*The multi port gasket
*Lubed o ring in pump lid
*Put thread tape on pump drain plugs
*Tightened band on filter where valve attaches
And still no progress! It seems to work better but you can hear the water draining out as soon as the pump is turned off. I opened up the pump where it disconnects in the middle and I can't see any problems there either. I just recently changed all the orings in the pump and the mechanical seal along with the bearings on the motor. The only thing I see is a little water leaking from were the pump splits apart in the middle. I opened it up and the oring looks fine, should I silicone this together? I am just at a loss, I have looked everywhere but can't seem to get it to stop losing the prime. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It seems to work better but you can hear the water draining out as soon as the pump is turned off.
Keep in mind that either air or water will exist within your system (duh).

But, with that very elementary principle understood, it is pretty easy when you hear water leaking out of the system and draining back to the pool, that water is being replaced by air. In other words, a suction side air leak. Once you stop the air from leaking back in, your issue will be solved.

With the pump running, it is still not clear to me that your pump basket has ONLY water in it.....no air bubbles right?

Once you shut the pump off, how long does it take for the water to drain from the pump basket?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.