First time closing pool

Victor

Aug 4, 2012
Girard, OH
Hello all, I just have some questions on the right equipment needed to close my pool. The last 2 years the builder has done it for me, this year I want to give it a go. When he closed it last year, he used the solid threaded PVC plugs to close returns, has anyone tried the duck bill plugs, or the all rubber plugs with wing nut in center. Any pro and cons to either? Also going to be using air compressor, I've been reading to keep it under 10 psi. Any other concerns?

I've used PVC plugs and compression (wing nut center) plugs. Both seem to be fine but I prefer the PVC plugs with an o-ring for the returns, use the compression fittings for the skimmer bucket.

I've only used a shop vac for blowing out lines and admittedly it's been a few years since I helped someone close their pool. Also my first year doing my own pool...

I use the rubber plugs and have never had a problem. The trick is to really watch them close while you are blowing the lines out (BTW - 10 lbs. on the compressor is fine) and make sure that there are no bubbles coming out. I find the best way to get them in, since you will be putting them in while the air pressure is coming through the lines, is to really lean over the coping and push them in pretty hard, then start tightening them up. I have two return lines - once the one is plugged and no air bubbles coming out anymore, I do the other one. Once that is plugged, then I go to the skimmer. For that I have a double plug (both rubber). The one goes all the way down and plugs the drain line, the other plugs the skimmer pipe.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.