First attempt at SLAMing green pool - Advice always welcome!

Linds

Aug 7, 2014
Winchester, VA
Brand new to the BBB concept, but have been spending countless hours reading up on the forum. I went to Leslie Pools and picked up their Total Poolcare DPD Test kit, made by Taylor.... I think it is similar to the Taylor 2006.

Here's what I'm starting with:
FC: 0
TC: 0
pH: 7.2
Base Demand: 3
TA: 110
CH: 190
CYA: 30

Based on the pool calculator, I've dropped four 121oz containers of 8.25% bleach. I'm adding just a little bit of CYA to bring that up as well, targeting more around 40 (have it in a sock tied around an empty floating chloring container right now). I'll retest 2-3 times a day to keep the chlorine level up and add as needed.

Other info on the pool:
~20,000 kidney shaped inground
Pump: Hayward Star Clearplus Cartridge Filter, Model C751
Additional: Smartpool 4i robot pool cleaner

This all started a few weeks back when lightning knocked out the power, then we had a number of 100+ degree days with neither of us home (shift work - firefighter/paramedics). He's out of town for 4 days, and I'm hoping to get a knock on this mess!

2mh7q7c.jpg

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 72
Alright, now that I have the proper kit...

As of this morning:

Fc 1.5
Tc 1
pH 7.2
TA 12
CYA 55

Added 4 121 oz 8.25 bleach containers this morning. Will retest in 2 hours to see where I'm at!
Should that Tc really be CC?

FC + CC = TC

We generally ignore the TC number as FC & CC are what we deal with.

Interesting to note that the earlier (I assume pool store tested) CYA was 30 but you came up with 50. That is how pool stores mess up folks pools. Remember, with a CYA this high stay away from the solid forms of chlorine unless you have a SWCG or are planning to add one soon.

It would help us if you would add the following information to your signature

• The size of your pool in gallons
  • If your pool is an AG (above ground) or IG (in ground)
  • If it's IG, tell us if it's vinyl, plaster/pebble, or fiberglass
  • The type of filter you have (sand, DE, cartridge) and, if you know, the brand and model of the filter.
  • If you know, please tell us the brand and model of the pump, and mention if is it a two speed or variable speed pump.
  • Date of pool build/install, particularly important if less then a year old.
  • What kind/model of water test kit you are using
  • Other significant accessories or options, such as a spa , SWG, or cleaner

Keep up the good work, you are moving in the right direction.

I'd like to start off by welcoming you to the forum. I'm sure with a bit of work on your part, you will shortly have the same sparkling water you see others here with.

Given the water color and your test results, a SLAM is in order. I would start by reading the ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry. This will help you learn the basic taught on the forum. From there the video below explains the SLAM process in full detail.

You're on the right track with ordering your test kit and finding this site.........please feel free to continue to ask questions if needed. WE LOVE TO HELP!

Thanks for the video!

2 hours into the SLAM and my FC dropped to 17, so I added 90oz per the pool calculator. This is acceptable based on the pool chem, but I'm aiming for maintaining 20. I'm not quite sure what kind of algae is growing, so I thought I'd aim a little high?

A little nervous doing this, but hoping for the best! I'll be closely monitoring the pool all day today and tomorrow, so hoping to keep the levels right on target and see some sort of improvement!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.