New pool/new PebbleSheen. When can I slam?

Spaniard

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 15, 2013
Frisco, TX
Hello -

I have a new TF-100 test kit. New pool, hence new plaster (PebbleSheen). Plastered on 7/30.14 and filled on 7/31. I keep knocking down the ph every couple of days. That's fairly straight forward, but my real issue is my FC.

I am burning through my FC during the day. Water is crystal clear. No CC. But man, I'm burning through bleach. Also, I cannot pass the OCLT. I'm losing 1.5 - 2 ppm FC during the night.

I've got a bit of a break right now because the builder just added more tabs into the feeder. But in a few days, I'll be back to adding bleach 3 to 5 times a day (or I'll drop under minimum target level).

I have read to not SLAM new plaster. When can I start my SLAM? How long do I need to wait? A total of 30 days (WAG)? I know I can bump up my CYA level and that will help in the short term, but I don't really want to do that for the long term. At least not much beyond 40.

Here is a pic of my water:
IMG_1851_zps7ca13f6c.jpg

The last full test results are:
FC - 6
CC - 0
CH - 300
TA - 100
CYA - 30
Ph - 7.5​

Not bad right? But, I will come back and test in 4 hours and FC will be 1 (or none). So, I want to SLAM so I don't have to add bleach all the time since I don't always work from home.

Thoughts? Advice? How long do I need to wait? Thank you!

We only SLAM when there is a problem. Do you actually have a problem?

I think you may just need to raise your CYA up higher to get more protection from the sun ... especially in TX. How certain are you that it is 30ppm?

Thanks jblizzle. I'm confidant in my CYA reading (I did it multiple times to get a feel for it in the sun. I thought it was 40 at first). My CYA will go up slightly with the addition of more tabs.

My problem is I cannot pass the OCLT and I cannot maintain any FC unless I add bleach every 3 or 4 hours in the daytime (and I cannot do that on a consistent basis). I'm just trying to figure out how long I have to wait before I can slam with new PebbleSheen. Or can I slam now?

Or maybe TFP is just not for me and I should stick with tabs? I'm fine hitting the pool with bleach morning and night.

How was the water filled? When? It is pretty unusual for a fresh fill to have high chlorine demand unless it was left without chlorine for a few days.

Tabs are about the worst possible idea for you given that you CYA will quickly become very high (you do not drain / close for the winter) and then would need to replace water to lower it (but don't you all have water restrictions?).

According to the new plaster article, you should not SLAM for 30 days ... I am not 100% sure why or whether that also applies to you.

Thanks. Was filled on thurs 7/31 (and I threw some bleach in). Then I went out of town. Builder did start up and supposedly put some tabs in while I was gone. I came back on Sunday to 0 FC (but water still clear). Added bleach after that and have been testing multiple times per day since then.

Been struggling to maintain FC level since then. It seems like during the day I can lose 1.5 ppm of FC an hour in the sun. So, even when I bring my FC level up to 6 or 8, I cannot make it the full day without falling below minimum FC levels. To make it the full day, I'd have to bring to SLAM level (or even beyond).

So, I'm guessing that since I am also losing more than 1 ppm in FC overnight, I have something in the water. Then when the pool is exposed to full sun for 10 hours, I really burn through the bleach (the UV exacerbating whatever is in the water already). Hence, my wanting to SLAM just to knock it out early (while it's not a big problem yet).

I guess I'll just stick with tabs for the next two weeks and try it again after that.

Who added the stabilizer? And how much?

The higher you raise the FC, the more you will lose to the sun. The CYA only protects a % of the FC. With a CYA of 30ppm, you should only have to bring the FC up to about 5ppm and it should stay above the minimum a day later.

Could someone have used ascorbic acid in the pool? That could explain inability to hold FC though I would think by now even that could have been defeated by all the CL you've added.

Rampant speculation. I know you are trying to help, but this is a WILD far out guess.

OP: A SLAM is likely not a good idea with a new finish, but I honestly do not know how much it would hurt. Before I did it to my new pool, I would contact Kim Skinner. he is a plaster expert, and he posts here under the handle onbalance. Contact him and trust him. Until I got his answer, I would elevate the FC to maximum for my Cya and do my level best not to let it fall below that. Hold it there for a while and see how your OCLT improves. It will come around, but that is what I would do.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sorry if I was way off base with the AA comment. I've been looking into the impacts associated with doing a treatment to my pool to see if I can get rid of some nasty iron stains. I read of issues getting FC to hold as the AA is worked out of the pool and made the association. That's why I asked.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.