Re-Seat O-Ring on a DE Filter

illtiger1

Bronze Supporter
Oct 29, 2008
I seem to be having a leak coming from the clamp system of my Hayward DE filter. A poster here suggested I re-seat the o-ring. Since my filter is up and running, what is the best way to do this? Do I have to rinse/backwash the DE out and then pull the plug on the filter to let the water out? Thank you. Here are some pics.

IMG_5167.jpg
[/URL]

IMG_5168.jpg
[/URL]

Yes you will need to shut off the water going into and out of the filter and drain it. After it is drained remove the band clamp and open up the filter. There should be a large o-ring between the two halves of the filter. Go ahead and hose out the DE, then re-charge after the filter is re-assembled. Inspect the o-ring for signs of wear, if good apply a coat of silicone pool lube and place the o-ring in the groove. Place top of filter on carefully, make sure the o-ring doesn't get pinched between the two halves. Put the clamp band back on and tighten it down. Open the valves, fill up the filter and check for leaks. If everything's good you can re-charge the DE.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.