SWG Percentage vs Pump run time???

May 8, 2014
United States
I am new to the pool world and have been learning a lot for my first year of installing our new 10,000 gal fiberglass pool. I am bound and determined to learn everything myself so I don't have to pay someone to take care of it. So far I'm comfortable, thanks to this website, in testing and correcting my pool's numbers to keep the water nice. I have actually made real nice cheat sheets & charts to help keep the chemicals in balance (if anyone is interested in them I can send), The only thing I cant grasp the concept of is the SWG level. I just need some guidance on what I could possibly be doing wrong if anything.:confused: I have a new Pentair Interchlor IC20 SWG (treats up to 20,000 gal pool) and for some reason I cant hold my chlorine levels where I want them. I keep ph levels good, CYA around 80, everything seems to be fine, but I think possibly Im not running my pump long enough??? Im running my 1hp Pentair pump for 5.5 hr (12pm - 530pm) the another couple hours from 8pm - 10pm. I have tried different percentages on the generator 50%, 60%, 70%, 80%, 90%, 100%. The only thing that seems to hold the levels is running the SWG at 100%. I can run SWG on super-chlorinate for 24hr and levels will come back in check, thats how I know its working. So saying all that to say this should I be running my pump more and the SWG at a lower percentage, or keep it the same time and the SWG running at 100%? I would just like to find a happy medium to keep from changing the SWG settings. Thank you all for all the knowledge on TFP.com!

So saying all that to say this should I be running my pump more and the SWG at a lower percentage, or keep it the same time and the SWG running at 100%?
It doesn't matter much. I prefer running the SWG at a higher % so I can run the pump as little as possible.

However, your SWG may not be keeping up because you might have a chemistry issue. Please post a FULL set of test results.

Your SWG is either on or off. The percentage relates to the amount of time ON during a given runtime. So 50%/6 hour run time is the same as 100%/3 hour run time. This allows you to control the amount of chlorine produced independent of the pump run time which is set to adequately filter your water.

I would set the run time based on need and then adjust the percentage to meet chlorine demand. Chlorine should hold steady overnight so better to run the pump during the day to compensate for loss due to sunlight - this helps keep levels steady. Not sure about breaking up run times but I like to determine run time and run continuously over that period. I'm currently set at 10 hours 60% for a TC of 4-5, CYA 70.

I would agree w/ mas985 that your chemistry is likely off. What's your salt level? Ca++ (can decrease functional surface area of a cell - although likely not the case here)? Also, what are the voltage and current readings on your cell?

Well, that sorta depends on your make of SWG. Mine runs in 200 minutes cycles as long as there's sufficient flow--The pump is running! So, if mine is set to run for 12 hrs @ 80%, its not generating for 576 minutes-- 80% of 12 hrs but for 600 minutes. That's because Its generating for 160 minutes for the first 3 cylcles (10 hrs) and the full 120 minutes of the last/4th cylcle.

From the sellers- I've checked it out, that's right on the number. Easy enough to find out for yourself. All you have to do is take the 200 times your percentage. Then , go out a few minutes earlier than when the generation light will go off. Say you're running 50% So it will generate for 100 minutes, then stop generating for 100 minutes then start all over again.
That's the first I've seen someone who has a SI-40. I don't believe they even make that model? Think they go from the Si-30 to the Si-45.

I think the Si-40 is the same as the Si-45, but they changed the name this spring. I didn't see anything in the manual about the timing/percentage issue. I really have never timed my unit, but I thought it was turning on and off more frequently than that. I could be wrong, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't find it in the manual--I got that info directly from Discount salt Pools after I was noticing it stopped generating after a while so I called them to find out why. I tested it using the procedure I explained before and sure enough that was exactly the way it worked. If you manually turn it off then back on, it starts the 200 minute cycle all over again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.