Polaris 380 died - Rebuild? Replace? or buy something new?

SirBrowning

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 18, 2013
Northwest Florida
I just installed a brand new booster pump 6 months ago, and today I noticed the Polaris no longer working well. I took it out of the pool and wheels are cracked,t he housing cracked, the jets are cracked, etc. It is 12 years old, and has never had any rebuild and I am wondering with the age would it be worth a rebuild or just buying a brand new one.

So what would you guys recommend? Rebuild? New Polaris 380? Or are there better options for the money?

My Pool is a 20x40 33k gallons. Biggest issue I have are leaves and some dirt and bugs, with a little bit of sand here and there.

Thanks in advance!

Well I hate just wasting a brand new booster pump. Plus I like the fact that i can just setup the timer to kick on that booster pump and have it automatically clean every day. With robotic cleaners from what I understand you have to manually drop the thing in the pool, let it run for a set time, then remember to pull it back out and wind everything back up. I just like the set it and forget it of the Polaris cleaners.

I have also bee told that I should "downgrade" to the Polaris 280, as it can use the booster pump AND it performs as well (if not better) than the 380. They also said that the 280 will last longer and need very little maintenance compared to the 380. Any thoughts on that?

You could look into the cost of an overhaul kit, but if you decide to replace it, I think you would be better off with the 280. Based on what I've read here on the TFP forum, it's got a less complicated design than the 380, so it's more reliable. I finally replaced my 20-year-old 180 with a 280 a couple of years ago and have been very pleased with the increased cleaning performance (two jets vs one) and reliability.

I'm a happy 380 owner, but I've never had to buy a rebuild kit. Bought a couple of tune-up kits. Those are not too expensive; rebuild kits are pricey and that may be what you need, if you need to replace the wheels.

If your 380 repair costs start getting close to 50% of the cost of a new 280, I'd go for a new 280. I'd look on Craigslist, though, before I spent bust-out retail on a new 280. Might even find a used 380 with the parts you need.

Re. 280 v. 380 - I've heard the 280 will suck up the neighbor's cat, if you're not careful....

Well, I ended up just ordering the Rebuild Kit, as it seems the Rebuild kit for the 380 has essentially an entire brand new 380, the only thing I will have to reuse is the Inner Frame with the serial number on it. That cost $207 shipped, vs the cheapest I could find the Polaris 280 was $454 shipped. So as of right now that seems to be the best, most economical option. My 380 was 12 years old and never been repaired, rebuilt, or tuned-up (besides tire and tail sponge replacements) so I would think it held up pretty good. :)

Thanks for all the suggestions! :) Will let you know how the rebuild goes.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.