Stinging Eyes

Aug 14, 2013
Fayetteville, NY
So, after a year of no major problems running my SWG pool with minor pool store advice, I just transitioned to TFP method and chemistry. Family has made complaints of stinging eyes, and "chlorine smell nuisance".

Pool is crystal clear. If I threw a quarter in the 8ft deep end, heads or tails could be easily seen.

July 23, first TF100 test:
FC 16 (from strips, I knew it was 5+, but did not expect 16!)
CC 0
pH 7.5
TA 110
CYA 33
SWG 75%

Test today:
FC 4 (targeting 5, minimum 3)
CC 0
pH 7.4 ish (between colors, a best guess...slightly less than 7.5)
TA 65 (drop at 60 changes to grey, but not red until the 70 drop)
CYA 60-70ish, hard to be exact.
SWG 25%

Added 53oz of liquid bleach a week ago while getting SWG dialed in.

Salt is around 2800, just added more tonight to target 3000-3100, I do not check salt level often, only needs a bag or two per season after spring startup.

Is the stinging eyes thing normal with correct chemistry? If not, any ideas of cause? I believe my chemistry is mostly in line with guide here, and seems in line with AutoPilot recommendations well, although I am over FC by 1.

I know I want my pH a bit higher, but would think it's in range for comfortable swimming.

Thoughts?

A retest (just now) with photo. :) Seems a hint more red in person than photo. My "knowledge" seems to tell me stinging eye = low pH, but my "knowledge" also seems to indicate this reading should be on the lower end of okay, but okay.

ToFugjDayjlZ4PVmQZDfZXvZSTdY4XLFYEgHAgtl6Wg=s192-p-no

You are right......it looks like 7.2 in the photo.

My non expert advise? Goggles might be a good thing?

My kids don't complain much of stinging eyes in our pool (except that time when PH got really low first season). I personally don't open my eyes under water much so I can't say. Kids have become competitive swimmers since we installed pool so their goggles are second nature to them now.

Maybe someone else has a better scientific answer?

Normally when I hear stinging eyes and a strong odor, I would assume combined chlorine. Did you know what you were doing when you did the CC test? You pool could have something else causing those symptoms that is not common.

As for the CYA, are you using chlorine tablets or a granular chlorine such as dichlor or trichlor? Your CYA raised a bit for a short amount of time. If you added stabilizer to the pool, it's best you stop at your current level.

You have over 100 posts, so you might already know what I just said above.

Hi ThinkPad, I added 6lb HTH stabilizer over a week ago to target CYA 70, per the SWG guide here...I've been working toward that guide's levels for all the key items, which is why the major swing in those things.

CC with TF100 consistently shows 0 or less than .5ppm. I believe I follow TF100 for FC and CC correctly. I will verify tomorrow CC of near zero...pump's already off for the night, but I have never needed more than one drop to get the TF100 CC test back to clear, and it's never had more than a slight hint of red after the 5 drops of whatever that middle chemical is (after FC).

I trust TA less, as I don't wipe with a cloth (TF100 should include a cloth!), but watch drop size for evidence of static. Results are stable since last MA addition, and they seems to match up with test strips [queue laugh track].

pH has been lower, as I aerated with the "lower the TA" process to get levels where they are today. (Borates may be in my future.)

Pucks and related forms of solid chlorine have never touched this pool.

Chlorine smell could be acute localized CCs. You get sweat and sunscreen in the pool during use, but because the pool is correctly balanced, they go away quickly and never show up on a test.

pH is the other likely possibility. I get no complaining between 7.4 and 7.6 - any higher or lower and the kids let me hear it.

I stay at 7.2 unless kids are going to be in playing (makes my CSI target more manageable in my effort to eradicate scale). It does leave a bit of sting in the eyes. When a pool party is happening I let it get up to 7.4 and the rascals are happy.

Chris

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.