Pump selection for new pool install

Aug 10, 2014
NJ
Hello everyone.
I am glad I found this site as I just signed paperwork to have a pool installed and will be a first time pool owner. I am trying to learn as much as possibel as soon as possible to try to get it right the first time. I have a question about the pump selection. The company install the pool suggested the Hayward 2HP super pump and that is what I initially agreed to. Now that I have been doing more research I feel like I want the benefit of the Hayward ecostart variable speed pump. I called them to create a change order and was told that I would be able to run the pump at the lower speeds due to my circulation system and features there for i would not see the cost saving benfits. Could that be true?

A little info about what I am having installed. I live in NJ and it will be a 19x35 freeform pool with 2 skimmers, 2 drains, and 8 returns. all the plumbing will be 2". I will have a waterfall and a slide as well. The filter will be a 350lb sand filter and I will be using the Hayward aquarite pro SWCG. I really thought I wanted the VS pump for the energy savings but with this setup would that pump work for me and deliver the savings I've read about. Thanks in advance for any advise.

Hello everyone.
I called them to create a change order and was told that I would be able to run the pump at the lower speeds due to my circulation system and features there for i would not see the cost saving benfits. Could that be true?

Hi, welcome to TFP! Sorry it took so long to answer your question. In the section quoted above, did you mean to say you would not be able to run the pump at lower speeds due to all the water features? If that is the question, the only time you should need that much HP is if everything is running at once. If they are plumbing the pool so you can isolate each feature and run it only when you want you could use a 2 speed or a variable speed pump. Whether or not the cost of the variable speed pump would be offset by energy savings depends on electricity costs in your area and how much you run the system.

yes, sorry they told me i would not be able to run at lower speeds do to the extra jets. I am not exactly sure how they planned to install the plumbing but i will make sure that i have individual control. thank you for your response

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.