Connecting vacuum host to skimmer drain for automatic cleaner

Aug 10, 2014
Dorset, UK
Hello,

I'm contemplating buying an automatic (non-powered) cleaner for my pool. To explain my setup, I have 2 side skimmers, and no vacuum port. So currently with my manual vacuum I shut off the bottom drains and close one of the skimmers to divert all pressure to the other skimmer then use one of those blue "plate-shaped" attachments on the end of my vacuum hose to form a seal around where the skimmer basket would sit.

The issue I have is that as soon as I power off the filter, the pressure of course goes and the plate moves. I have my filter on a timer switch so it's off overnight. This would mean an automatic cleaner wouldn't work with this plate arrangement and I need a different way to connect the vacuum hose to the skimmer exit drain.

Any suggestions? There's no thread on the skimmer drain that I can see so no option of screwing it in.

Many thanks for your advice!

Welcome to TFP!

Some cleaners come with a rubber plug with ridges that locks into the threads in the bottom of the skimmer. If you go that route, you should probably consider a leaf catcher in line to protect your plumbing from clogs.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.