Could a light be the source of rust stains?

May 14, 2012
I posted a previous thread about .3ppm copper. I thought it was coming from my well water but after bringing in a sample of well water and pool water it was only the pool water that had copper. I did the ascorbic cycle and things looked great ..... until the water got clear. Its back but not as bad, yet. So I was going to try this leslies stain and scale treatment and as I was getting ready to put some in the pool I noticed all sorts of stuff around my pool light. I am wondering if this could be the source of my coppper and metail stain issues.

light 2

Has anyone seen this? Do you know what it is? Could it be causing my metal staining? Do you know how to repair this? The pool is only 3 years old

FC: 5
CC: 1.5
PH: 7.2
TA: 70
CH: 300
CYA: 60

that stuff around the lights is not good. I would definitely tend to that first.

Pull those lights our of there and clean that stuff up.

Probably at least a minor slam is in order.
With CC of 1.5, you need to to an OCLT to confirm a slam is needed.

I guess it is whit water mold. I scrubbed with a brush and sucked up with filter hose. Do I have to immediately clean my filter now? The white water mold is probably from the lack of chlorine from the ascorbic acid treatment for metal stains. One of the threads for the metal stain treatment say to not shock but use min fc from cya chart, so we are trying to maintain 5fc. Pool store says alk should be around 180 or it will cause issues with my heater and since I am not solving this issue I am leaning to try increasing my alk to 180 and keeping my ph around 7.2. Comments welcome please!

0.3ppm of copper (Cu) is not that bad. heck- many municipal water plants list the Cu level at from 0.05-0.1. So, 0.3- not so much higher, especially cuz its a pool. Now, if you were drinking that every day, probably somethning to inquire about with your local plant, but I wouldnt worry about it. heck, they add copper to breakfast cereals, and other foods- youre getting your weekly dose at once!!

Wow. Jacks Blue Stuff solved everything! I did the ascorbic acid treatment and the stains came back with vengence and even brought back the white water mold. I put the Jacks Blue Stuff in, and this version allows you to have chlorine so I was able to keep fighting the white water mold, and after less than 24 hours the pool looked like it did with the ascorbic acid treatment! I'm sold. The stuff really is Magic!

Someone mentioned cleaning the light that had the algae and white water mold. Can someone confirm if I absolutely must lower the water level to below the light or is it okay to take off the outer housing and clean and then reinstall. Sounds like a stupid question, but I really do not want to lower the water level that low. The next question is if I keep my chlorine up will it eventually take care of the algae and white water mold around the light housing? Been running around 1.5CC and now down to .5 CC.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.