Help clearing a cloudy pool after SLAM

Hello all, I have been using the TFP methods on my pool since July and have been very pleased. My pool went green on me last week due to some non-use and minor neglect. I slammed it and as of this morning there is no algae but it's cloudy. I can see my hand down about 18" or so, but it fogs up much beyond that.

FC - 10ppm (post slam #, usually target 3-4)
CC - 0
TA - 100
PH - 7.5
CYA - 20

Sand filter has been rinsed twice this summer, using about 2 cups of DE as a supplement and back washing as pressure rises above 5 psi increase.

Anything I can do to speed up the process? I have used super floc in the past with luck. Any thoughts on that or other suggestions?

Thanks!
Joe

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

You are not finished with the SLAM process. You are completely finished when.....

1. Your pool water is sparkling
2. Your CC's are .5ppm or less
3. You can hold your FC overnight without losing more than 1ppm.

Floc's seem to have very mixed results.....leaning towards bad or nothing so we don't suggest them.

Exactly what point in time did you bring your FC to SLAM? How often have you checked it since?

I think it's just a matter of giving it some time to clear it up. How long have you been SLAMing the pool ?
Maintain your FC at SLAM level and let the filter clear it up. The DE addition should help.
Back wash the filter when the pressure rises 25% above the clean pressure.
I wouldn't use the floc. Let the filter clean it up.

I started the SLAM Thursday night. And have been maintaining 8-12 ppm throughout the process. I check about every 2-3 hours during the day. Last night was my first night with no drop in FC (and zero CC), so now I just need to get it clear.

I figured it was just a matter of time, just hoping someone had a "trick"!

Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

I have also been brushing at least once a day to keep it mixed up and hopefully facilitate the filtering process.

Welcome to the forum :wave:

Using DE in a sand filter can help it clean better by catching smaller particles. When you add the DE to your filter is it only raising the PSI but 1 ?? 2 cups for a pool your size seems a little heavy as I have a 250lb filter and only use a cup. - - > http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/133-add-de-to-a-sand-filter

Like Pwrstrk advised, you do want to wait until your pressure rises 20-25% before you backwash as a dirty filter (like adding DE) will be slightly plugged with "stuff" and actually filters better.

It's a matter of giving that filter a chance (time) to pull out the dead stuff.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.