Chlorinator: Hayward vs. Pentair Rainbow, inline vs. outline

Aug 4, 2008
I need to replace my cracked Hayward in-line chlorinator.

I've read recommendations in this forum and on PoolSolutions.com for the Pentair Rainbow (Ben Powell's favorite). However 100% of pool store people I've asked have recommend the Hayward.
Can anyone recommend one over the other and why?

Also, my chlorinator was installed higher than the multiport, so when the pool shuts off the highly acidic chlorinated water runs back into the multiport. I've had to replace the gasket several times already.

I could install a check-value.
I could install an out-line chlorinator instead of an in-line chlorinator.
I could replumb the area to lower the chlorinator below the multiport (difficult with the very tight space I have to work with...)

Any recommendations for in-line vs. out-line, and on using a check valve?

Thanks,
PS this forum is great! I've had a hassle-free pool since I started following the principles found here and on PoolSolutions, before anyone was calling it 'BBB'.

We started with an inline chlorine feeder but got into trouble with the inevitable ever increasing CYA levels and need for higher FC levels to achieve sanitation. I then moved to BBB but had trouble with adding bleach everyday. I then installed a Liquidator. Pretty cool little chlorine feeder. Worked good and I only had to add chlorine ever couple of weeks. I added salt to the pool to give it a softer feel and got sick of hauling bleach down to the pool every 2 weeks so I installed a SWG. So far so good. Easiest method yet. I saved a fortune installing it myself. Here is the thread if your interested. swg-install-completed-t8136.html

If you do not mind some maintenance....filling with chlorine, acid washing the unit, & adjusting flow rates...then the LQ is a great cost effective method.

As far as pool stores recommending the Hayward over the Pentiar (Rainbow). Well, I work in one, we sell both, and we recommend the Pentair because the Hayward has a tendancy to clog and be either all the way one or all the way off! Don't know about the pool stores you are going to but they probably are Hayward dealers and not Pentair dealers.

waterbear said:
As far as pool stores recommending the Hayward over the Pentiar (Rainbow). Well, I work in one, we sell both, and we recommend the Pentair because the Hayward has a tendancy to clog and be either all the way one or all the way off! Don't know about the pool stores you are going to but they probably are Hayward dealers and not Pentair dealers.

So true Waterbear!!! When I used to use the Hayward it would sometimes be chlorinating even when OFF. My FC was always difficult to control.

I've used the Hayward off-line, and not had too many problems (except CYA!) I liked that I could move it around, like to wash it out, or take it inside for winter(MAKE SURE THAT IT IS EMPTY!!!) and it is easy to plug the lines if you don't want to use it, or need to repair it. The O-ring on the lid had a tendency to swell, and then get mangled on re-installation, so I took to taking the lid apart(pry off the cover/cap, unscrew the bolt) so I could install the inner cap while making sure that the O-ring was not being pinched,then screwing on the outer cap, and re-installing the bolt and cover/cap. The O-rings are not cheap at a pool store, or anywhere else. If you don't pinch them, they will shrink back to the original size after letting them sit out for a while. I also made sure to exercise the flow control knob, I'd close it before turning the pump on, and then open it all the way after full pressure was reached. I must say, after typing this, that I really don't miss it much!

I've gone through 2 hayward inline chlorinators and 1 Hayward offline chlorinator in 10 years .When they work they're great , but the chlorine makes the o-ring swell up and then it's IMPOSSIBLE to get the cap off to put chlorine tabs in .I got a Rainbow 300 chlorinator now and I installed it in the same holes the Hayward offline was in, it was a 10 minute install and I think the cap design of the rainbow is a much better one and easier to remove .My humble .02

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.