wiring a pool timer

Aug 9, 2014
tampa/Florida
I installed a 240V intermatic timer and I have a 120V feed to the timer because the pump is 120V. I have wire the terminals to run the pump at 120V, but the timer box only works as a switch currently, I want to have the timer working, but... The timer switch needs to have 2 lines connected to spin the timer dial because I think it is a 240V switch unit. Can I split the 120V wire and energize the timer or will this cause the timer to get destroyed? Does anyone have any suggestions to make the timer function work?

Welcome to TFP!

The 240 volt version of the timer requires 240 volts to run the timer clock. You either need to wire up a 240 volt supply, or replace the timer clock motor with the 120 volt version. The timer can be setup to run it's clock motor from 240 volts and switch a 120 volt circuit, but it might be simpler to just get a 120 volt timer.

There isn't any easy way to get 240 volts from a 120 volt circuit. There are ways, but they are more complex/expensive than replacing the clock motor.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.