tri-chlor tabs disposal

jao988

Jul 17, 2008
I have an automatic chlorinator full of Tri-Chlor tabs that I am not currently using because my CYA level is approaching 80ppm.

I don't anticipate using it the rest of this season. How do I dispose of the approx. 9lbs of tabs that are in it?

Trichlor is highly acidic. I would not use them in toilets as the acidity is likely to corrode the metal parts as well as seals.

You could take them to a hazardous waste facility which might be part of your local dump (sanitation service). They often take all kinds of chemicals including paints, motor oil, etc. Just tell them it's chlorine in a very acidic form -- if you have the original container, then that's all they need (it has hazard info and possibly disposal info on it).

Do you have an neighbors or friends with pools? They would probably gladly take them off you hands.

Some people can get away with using trichlor because of the frequency that they backflush and fill and others because of loosing all their CYA over the winter. If you ask around you will probably find someone that would take them off your hands. They will be happy to save some cash and you wont have to deal with the proper disposal of the chemicals.

jao988 said:
DLSDO said:
You could put them back in the container them came from or create a new container and store them till next season.

Unfortunately they are wet/damp. I did not think it would be a good idea to store them wet....

I had the same situation. I placed them back in the original container and left them outside with the lid off for the day. They dried out and are stored away for future use. No big deal.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.