Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: tri-chlor tabs disposal

1. Back To Top    #1

tri-chlor tabs disposal

I have an automatic chlorinator full of Tri-Chlor tabs that I am not currently using because my CYA level is approaching 80ppm.

I don't anticipate using it the rest of this season. How do I dispose of the approx. 9lbs of tabs that are in it?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: tri-chlor tabs disposal

You could put them back in the container them came from or create a new container and store them till next season.
    Dave
    -------
    Our pool-
    20x40 Free Form Gunite (3'-8'), 26,000 G, AutoPilot Salt Chlorine Generator SC-48, Aqua blue pebble sheen, Textured Sundek, Pentair Easy touch with remote control, 1hp Sta-Rite Max-E-Pro pump, Max-E- Therm heater 333k BTU, System 3 Mod Media Cartridge filter, and Polaris 380 cleaner with booster pump

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by DLSDO
    You could put them back in the container them came from or create a new container and store them till next season.

Unfortunately they are wet/damp. I did not think it would be a good idea to store them wet....

4. Back To Top    #4

use them in your toilets
    18' AG Pool, 6900 gallons, 55 sq. ft. Hayward Easy Clear Cartridge Filter, 1hp Power Flow LX Pump, North Texas

5. Back To Top    #5

Trichlor is highly acidic. I would not use them in toilets as the acidity is likely to corrode the metal parts as well as seals.

You could take them to a hazardous waste facility which might be part of your local dump (sanitation service). They often take all kinds of chemicals including paints, motor oil, etc. Just tell them it's chlorine in a very acidic form -- if you have the original container, then that's all they need (it has hazard info and possibly disposal info on it).
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

6. Back To Top    #6

Do you have an neighbors or friends with pools? They would probably gladly take them off you hands.

Some people can get away with using trichlor because of the frequency that they backflush and fill and others because of loosing all their CYA over the winter. If you ask around you will probably find someone that would take them off your hands. They will be happy to save some cash and you wont have to deal with the proper disposal of the chemicals.
    8200 Gal Vinyl 18' AG Vogue Pool
    150lb Hayward Sand filter with 1-1/2 HP Maxim Pump
    Intex SWG
    Some of the most helpful links for pool owners: Pool School | Pool Calculator | The best test kit | Chlorine/CYA chart

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by jao988
    Quote Originally Posted by DLSDO

Unfortunately they are wet/damp. I did not think it would be a good idea to store them wet....
    I had the same situation. I placed them back in the original container and left them outside with the lid off for the day. They dried out and are stored away for future use. No big deal.
    Dave
    -------
    Our pool-
    20x40 Free Form Gunite (3'-8'), 26,000 G, AutoPilot Salt Chlorine Generator SC-48, Aqua blue pebble sheen, Textured Sundek, Pentair Easy touch with remote control, 1hp Sta-Rite Max-E-Pro pump, Max-E- Therm heater 333k BTU, System 3 Mod Media Cartridge filter, and Polaris 380 cleaner with booster pump