Styrofoam inside my new Dolphin Nautilus

Bill in SoCal

LifeTime Supporter
Just received and unpackaged my new Dolphin Nautilus robotic pool cleaner. My question to other owners of this model (or similar Dolphins) is regarding two decent-sized block pieces of styrofoam inside the unit where the filter screens and drive motor are. Should these things be removed? Are they there for shipping purposes and protection only.....or part of the machine's workings? That whole area would be submerged in water when the machine is in the water and I can't imagine that styrofoam would last in the pools chemical water environment. Anyone else seen or dealt with this "issue"? I'd call the company and ask, but of course they are closed and I really want to start using the cleaner today.

They are "wedged" inside of the unit and appear to be there to support the drive motor. Not sure if they are there for shipping purposes and can be removed or if they are to be left. I would be surprised if Dolphin (Maytronics) would used plain old styrofoam in constructing the product, especially a product (pool cleaner) that is often left immersed in water and subject for pool chemicals (acid, chlorine, etc.) for days at a time. Seems like the styrofoam would break down and make a mess of things. I guess I will give them a call tomorrow and see what they say.

If its plain Styrofoam, then most likely it was there for shipping, if its regular foam like sponge foam, those have been used in robots to control turning and buoyancy.

They are "wedged" inside of the unit and appear to be there to support the drive motor. Not sure if they are there for shipping purposes and can be removed or if they are to be left. I would be surprised if Dolphin (Maytronics) would used plain old styrofoam in constructing the product, especially a product (pool cleaner) that is often left immersed in water and subject for pool chemicals (acid, chlorine, etc.) for days at a time. Seems like the styrofoam would break down and make a mess of things. I guess I will give them a call tomorrow and see what they say.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.