Leak From Filter Help

illtiger1

Bronze Supporter
Oct 29, 2008
My pool has been up and running since June, but I noticed that the water level has been dropping. I checked it out today and there seems to be a leak coming from my Hayward DE ProGrid Filter. It is hard to tell if the water is leaking from the clamp system or the two bulkheads (maybe both?) going to the valve since it is dripping down. I am unsure what the best way to go about fixing it is without making a mess. Thank you.

How old is the filter? It might need a new o-ring. You could always try putting silicone lubrication on the o-ring to help it seal. If you use another type of lubrication, be advised that petroleum jelly lube can decay the o-ring over time.

Thank you for the response. It is quite old as we inherited the pool when we bought our house six years ago and I have been putting petroleum jelly lube on the o-ring every year for the last six. What is the best way to go about replacing it? I have DE in the filter and it's filled with water. Do I open the plug and let out the water or do I need to do some type of rinse/backwash to get out the DE first? Thanks again.

First, you mentioned above that the leak could be coming from the "clamp system" or "two bulkheads". By "two bulkheads", do you mean where the lid sits on top of the bottom portion? This would be right where the clamp holds them together.

If it is coming from there, I would double check the o-ring, and re-seat it. My filter has leaked from the intersection of the lid/base before, and I re-seated the o-ring, and it worked normal again.

If that doesn't work, the o-ring should probably be replaced (if that is where the leak is coming from). You would type your filter model number in a search engine, and that should bring you to a website that sells replacement parts. Just be advised that the o-rings can expensive for what your getting, because they aren't bought in bulk.

You shouldn't have to remove the DE to replace the o-ring. If this is the o-ring that is between the lid and bottom portion of the housing, just do what you would normally do when you put lube on the o-ring. That would probably be draining the filter. I don't have a DE filter, so if you are supposed to re-add DE when the filter is drained, hopefully someone else will chime in on this.

EDIT: BTW, it would be helpful if you could provide a picture of the filter when it leaks.

I see that they are quite expensive at over $40 to replace. I think I am going to try out re-seating the o-ring. It seemed to be in good shape this spring when I put it together. Here is a pic
IMG_5167.jpg
[/URL]
Thanks again.

Not a major leak, but it is consistent and it is to the point where I'm having to add water every 2-3 weeks weeks to keep the level above the skimmer. I'm going to re-seat the o-ring this week when I have some time. Thanks again.

I would just like to say that is the same size leak in the same spot I had on my filter. I just re-seated the o-ring and made sure the lid was on it properly. I worked for me, without using lube, hopefully you will have the same luck.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.