Is CYA really necessary?

I've read on this site that CYA acts like sunscreen for your chlorine. You can get along without it (CYA), but you will go through way more chlorine than you would otherwise. If you have read pool school, you'll already know that it can be purchased separately, but it also commonly incorporated into chlorine pucks. So...I guess it would be good to know what sort of chlorine you're using to sanitize your pool. If you're using pucks, you're already using CYA.

The type of cover you use may also factor into the amount of chlorine your pool uses. A solar cover still allows sunlight in, but a solid winter-type cover would dramatically decrease the amount of sun hitting that water.

We have a mostly opaque electric safety cover on our pool and the pool is used for about an hour every day. The pool has 40 ppm CYA in it because as was noted above CYA does more than just protect chlorine from breakdown from the UV in sunlight -- CYA significantly moderates chlorine's strength. If you were to not use any CYA at all, then the chlorine would be way too string unless you were able to maintain around 0.1-0.2 ppm FC in the pool and that is virtually impossible to do.

My wife has had personal experience with what happens when there is no CYA in the water. She used to swim over the winter in an indoor commercial community center pool that had 1-2 ppm FC with no CYA and we had to replace here swimsuits each winter season since the elasticity would get shot. In our own outdoor residential pool with 7-month swim seasons, her swimsuits have lasted for around 7 years and we have 3-6 ppm FC with 40 ppm CYA. The active chlorine level in our pool is equivalent to 0.14 to 0.30 ppm FC with no CYA so it makes sense that her swimsuits would degrade so much faster. There was also a significant difference in the effects on her skin and hair as well. This was so annoying (and the community center schedule getting more restrictive) that we now just heat our pool over the winter at significant expense.

Re: CYA brand?

Bud,

CYA is sold at most big box stores under different names such as stabilizer or conditioner. Look for the ones that are 99% cyanuric acid...powder is cheaper that liquid. Powder will take up to a week to register with your test kit so don't overshoot. Do it in half doses per Pool Math.

CYA brand?

There is no household substitute for CYA. You can get CYA, also called stabilizer, conditioner at Walmart, pool store and some big box stores.
Just make sure it's 99% CYA. It will tell you the percentage on the container. I've used different brands and don't think one is better than the other. I just look for 99% CYA and that's what I use.

Just my 0.02. ?

Re: Adding CYA

You shouldn't be starting new threads for each question, they're all related, so it would be helpful to keep them all in one thread. Post your most recent test results, and how they were determined. Yes, you need some cya or you'll not keep up with the FC requirements. As soon as you put the bottle of muriatic acid down, put in the cya to get you up to 30 to get started, up to 50 as you get better control of your pool. All-in-all FC is the most important thing for you to get right. Use pool math to get you where you need to be. TA is the last thing you need to work on. Hope you have an adequate test kit-- that's uber important!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Re: Adding CYA

Sorry about all the threads. But it did see somewhere in here that they rather a couple of small questions at a time instead of all at once. I guess they meant different topics, I will remember that. And yes, I have a K-2006 test kit (just learning how to use). I also need to work on learning how to use the Pool Math section.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.