Cypress, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Just getting started on here. Considering an upgrade from our current "ALL-CLEAR" Professional Test Kit.

And with every intention to read through the "Pool School", adopt the pool maintenance methods on this site.

In the meantime, would request some assistance:

Issue: Cloudy water, algae spread.

Just replaced the SWG (the original lasted 7 years and that seems to be some kind of record)

Just had the water tested:
FAC: 6
TAC: 6
pH: 7.6
TA: 100
CYA: 60
Calcium Hardness: 150
Salinity: 4,000
Phosphates: 506 (I think. I can't read his handwriting; just noticed that when I got home)

I'm going to guess that as you can't read his handwriting, the pool store does your testing. If you have read around here much you have probably seen that not much credence is given to pool store testing. While you would think that a "professional" would be the best, unfortunately in most cases it is quite the opposite. Between employees who blindly trust the word of chemical sales representatives and high school kids working in the pool store for the summer you end up with poor results from their testing.

So, ignore the phosphates; that is a problem made up by pool stores to sell you more magic potions.

If his numbers are to be believed your FC or 6 is within range for your CYA of 60, but I'm going to guess it has gone below the minimum of 5 a few times. Plus, CYA is the test the stores seem to mess up the most.

To follow the pool care methods taught here you need to arm yourself with the knowledge and tools necessary to care for your pool.

The knowledge is condensed in the Pool School that you have already discovered. It is a great community here, but we do ask that you read and try to understand the information being taught. Questions are always welcome and folks will try to direct you and teach you the methods.

The tools are not limited to the brushes, vacuum hoses and other stuff you use around the pool, but include the most important item - one of the recommended test kits. You can buy a kit at a pool store, but again the pool store kits generally won't cut it. To effectively practice the TFPC methods, the FAS/DPD chlorine test is essential. All these kits contain that test while very few other kits do. Think of it this way, do you see a doctor blindly prescribing drugs without seeing the patient or having tests run? Here at TFP we are going to ask for photos so we can see the condition of the water and are going to ask for a full set of test results.

We do not "shock" our pools like the pool stores teach, rather we follow a process called a SLAM when there is a problem. You have a problem and a SLAM is in order. But, to do that you need the test kit.

Once the SLAM is over and you have a clear pool you can address raising the CYA a little (boy is that unusual to say ::): ) and raise your CH.

Once things are done this is what you should be looking for:
Plaster with SWG
FC 3-5 (See chart)
pH 7.5-7.8
TA 60-80
CH 250-350
CYA 70-80

So, welcome to TFP!!

Last edited:
Those test results do not match the symptoms you describe. If you really have algea, your total chlorine and free chlorine numbers should not be the same. My guess is the test was not accurate, which is unfortunately all too common.

This site, and the people here, give really excellent advice and have a proven model to achieve and maintain perfectly clear water, but base that advice on the actual chemistry in the pool. You need one of the recommended test kits...I am biased towards the TF100. It's the best value for the money.

You have said your pool is cloudy, and you believe you have algea.

You need to SLAM your pool, which is basically a scientific process for shocking that is guided by monitoring chemistry to ensure total and complete elimination of root cause of the problem...as opposed to a unguided "dump in some chlorine" pool store style shock which in many cases only hides the problem without really resolving the core issue.

To properly clear up your pool using the method here, you need a test kit that can accurately measure high levels of free chlorine and combined chlorine. Here are test kits that can do that:
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/124-pool-test-kits-comparison

Here is how to SLAM a pool, but you need a good test kit to do it:
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/125-slam-shock-level-and-maintain-shockingl

Good luck, and feel free to ask more questions. You'll find most people here are willing to help because they first ended up here looking for answers to problems similar to yours, and were amazed at how well the simple processes work. It's saved many people a lot of time, money, and frustration.

Couple of follow-up responses:
1. I plan to purchase a different test kit than the one I have, just haven't ordered it yet. Thanks for the link to the test kit comparison. I've leaning towards the TF-100, but let me read the comparison and decide from there.
2. Today is the 1st time in ... well I don't remember how long it's been since I had the "pool store" test my water. I just thought I would today to see if I could obtain a valid test to see where to begin. Alas, I guess I was mistaken.

Think I'll check out the SLAM method, read through the school, etc. And be on my way to the TFP methods.

Thanks all

Just getting started on here. Considering an upgrade from our current "ALL-CLEAR" Professional Test Kit.
And with every intention to read through the "Pool School", adopt the pool maintenance methods on this site.

I don't mean to be harsh but you've had four years to read through the Pool School articles. I guess it takes a green monster to get you motivated. Did you finally get to the point where the pool stores advise isn't working ?? :brickwall:

Good choices for test kits. TF-100 http://tftestkits.net/TFTestkits-TF-100-p4.html
& Taylor K-2006 http://www.amazon.com/Taylor-Complete-FAS-DPD-Water-K-2006/dp/B0002IXIIG

Review of kits - > http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/16979-Testkit-Taylor-k-2006-vs-k-2006C-vs-TF-100-(bottles-OZ)

I guess it takes a green monster to get you motivated.

I think that's the reality for most people, me included. As long as my SWG and pool store advice kept my water clear, I didn't learn the chemistry. Eventually I learned enough to know I got (very) bad pool store advice on my last trip there...and I was motivated to get my butt in gear.

Kiss a frog, yes that is (somewhat) correct.

Up until this point, my pool maintenance has been primarily clean the filter and clean (acid wash) the SWG cells twice a year, test the water maybe once per month.

And it's been fine.

It's only now that it has gotten to a point where it needs to be addressed.

Maybe we've been lucky to date. Don't know, don't care.

But the way I look at it, it's never too late.

Deep breath guys.

Lets start over ...

Welcome to TFP! :cheers:

Sounds like time for a SLAM. It is possible to have an FC and TC that are the same with algae, CCs are a by product of the FC being consumed and may or may not come into play. The TF100 is the best value, just make sure you get one of the recommend kits, you must have an FAS/DPD test, and you will do a LOT of testing with it during the slam. Check out the Test Kit Comparison I usually recommend the TF100 with the XL option for someone starting a SLAM, or without the XL option if the pool is in good shape and they are just wanting to take control.

It's not unusual for someone on an SWG to go years with no problems, so don't sweat it. We will get you ship shape in no time.

What part of Houston are you in?

Okay, just ordered the TF-100 with the XL option. And I should have enough time between now and when it arrives to read through the pool school, and this site.

However, fair warning: I'll probably be back, asking more questions, as to what to do after completing my reading, and testing with the new kit. :cheers:

Thanks all

Karambiker, we're in Cypress

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
However, fair warning: I'll probably be back, asking more questions, as to what to do after completing my reading, and testing with the new kit. :cheers:
That is exactly what we want you to do. Read and ask questions. We want you to understand what is going on in your pool and take control of it. Good choice on the TF100. They usually ship the same day you order, so read quick and get ready to SLAM that pool.

We live for questions. Anything to take some of the pain out of SLAMing a dirty pool.

Attachments

• SLAM a dirty pool.jpg
    SLAM a dirty pool.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 103
Karambiker, we're in Cypress

Just up 290 from us. We are in Garden Oaks.

When you come back with more questions please post in the same thread and we will help you out. With the number of posts here daily that makes it easier to keep track of where each of us should be looking.

Okay, so performed my 1st test utilizing the TF-100. Here are the results:

Total Chlorine Test (1st test using the Taylor K-1000 included with the kit): >5. The water in the gauge was Orange
pH: 7.8
FC: 14
CC: 26
TC: 40
CH: between 250 & 275
TA: 100
CYA: between 55 & 60

Pool symptoms: water is a bit cloudy, with some algae appearing on some of the wall.

What's next please? (and I'll continue reading)

Thanks all

Are you sure about your math on the CC ?? Maybe it was supposed to be 2.6 which would still be really high.

I'd bring the pH down to 7.2 and start your SLAM. Until you're done with the SLAM I wouldn't worry about any of the other tests except FC and CC. Once it's clear and blue and you've passed the three conditions for a complete SLAM and let the FC come down to the normal daily maintenance level for your pool then you can adjust the others.

With regards to "Are you sure about your math on the CC ??" Pretty confident. Being this was my 1st time with the test kit, and these procedures, I took my time and read each instructions at least twice to insure I grabbed the correct solution and followed the process as described.

And I was rather surprised I had to dispense 52 drops R-0871 to get a clear reading.

So now, I'll read up on "slamming".

One other favor, what's the process for bringing the pH down? (16k gallon pool)

Thanks again all

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.